Finn only gained 14oz in 3 weeks???? Trying not to worry

iVillage Member
Finn only gained 14oz in 3 weeks???? Trying not to worry
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 5:48pm

I had another ultrasound today, and baby Finn weighed 3 lbs, 6 oz. Last ultrasound was on the 8th. He weighed about 2 and a half lbs then. Also his head 3 weeks ago was a week ahead. Today it measured 2 weeks, 2 days ahead. I'm getting scared. I'm fearing my little guy is headed towards IUGR! My sisters baby was born 7 weeks ago at 37 weeks with that, but he didn't start to show signs of growth problems this early on. I'm only 31 weeks! I'm trying, really trying not to be worried, but I just love my baby so much, and the thought of him not getting enough nutrients or worse oxygen is heart wrenching. I talk to my doctor tomorrow. Hopefully she'll be able to put my fears at ease. Any prayers you could send my little guys way would be greatly appreciated!

iVillage Member
I wouldn't worry about it. U/S measurements can be off, especially for weight. Unless there's a VERY noticible difference, I would just chalk it up to measuring in a slightly different spot.

Praying for peace for you!
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member

Ultrasounds can be off.  When the news is good, believe it.  When the news is bad, ignore it.  It's the only way to keep your sanity.  I can think of several examples from every pregnacy I've had.  Bottom line is that ultrasounds just aren't perfect.  They're nice to check things like position and presence or lack of organs, but the tiny measurements just aren't accurate.  (Unless they give you a measurement that you like, then by all means it must be right, lol.)

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member

Did you talk to your doctor? What did they say? I'm sure your baby is just fine.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I did speak to my doctor. She said at this point we just watch, and wait it out. She said he's still above the 10th percentile, and she still feels confidient that he's doing well. I'm just praying, and doing all I can to take good care of myself to keep my diabetes under control. Thanks for asking. :smileyhappy: