Going up bra sizes - when does it stop??

iVillage Member
Going up bra sizes - when does it stop??
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 4:17am
When should our bra size be at it's largest? Growing out of mine overnight was one of my first PG tip offs, but I've grown even more since then. I plan on getting 1-2 more Bravado Bodysilk nursing bras since they seem flexible as far as size goes but still have support. The problem is I'm at the top of the M measurements at 37w, and they're too expensive to risk growing out of again imho. I've been still using my size S bras for when I go out. Lol. All in all, I've gone from 34B to 38D measurements - please tell me somebody else has been in my "shoes"! :-) Do I try a size M and wait on a second? Or is BFing a guarantee I'll likely be in a large in a couple weeks?

- JM

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:53am
Usually for me I can buy the size I am in my ninth month and it works for the whole time nursing except for those few days when the milk comes in and you have "knockers" as my husband put it. Anyone know where to get a good nursing sports bra? Any such thing?
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 12:51pm
It sounds like we have a very similar situation, Jenny. I'm also going without at home since I've been on bed rest and whatnot so long. Before PG, I frequently wore shelf-bra tank tops. I had cysts on both breasts since I was about 15, so underwire was always irritating and the Express tanks seemed just as supportive as bras without. That's one major PG plus - the cysts appear to be gone for good! (As a teen, the doc said PG could actually change the breast tissue to make them go away.)

L, I think you summed it up pretty well - I don't want to spend lots on something for just 2 weeks of wear. Large does sound like a good idea because then it would be stretchy enough to be a sleep bra like Liz suggested.

I just remembered I already ordered a medium, but maybe she already has some larges at the store. Hmm - I suppose I'd get to wear the medium at some point again, too. I may just follow Anne's advice on both. ;-) They are seriously amazing bras...

- JM

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 2:01pm

i went from a 34B to a 38DD in my first pregnancy. you are not alone.

after baby was born and i was done bf-ing i went down to a permanant 36B. Then my second pregnancy, i went from 36B, to 38DD again and after that it was a permanant 36C. This time around i went from 36C to 38DD again! thank goodness they never get bigger than that. I assume I will srink back down to a 36D this time.

Towards the end, they plump up bigtime, then when your milk comes in when baby is born, they will get waayy bigger.

i dont want to buy a new bra, mine just started plumping up and i only wear a bra (that is just about to not fit), when i go shopping or whatnot. otherwise, i am braless at home or wear a sports bra. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 9:11am
Some women grow several cups sizes with nursing. Others, like me, don't see any changes. Our breastfeeding center recommends soft sleep bras for the first 6 weeks or so until things regulate, then investing in a well-fitting nursing bra.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 8:24am

Bigger is better than smaller in my opinion.  My guess is nursing will make them change sizes even more.  I'd get the bigger size.  I was struggling with spending $50 a piece knowing they may not fit, so I finally just bought 2 cheapie nursing bras from the local store to get me through the very beginning, and will buy Bravados as soon as I know what size I finalize at.  (And once I'm sure I'll actually nurse, still nervous it won't work out.)

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 5:23am

Dear, health is not something to joke about and breasts are sensitive. The last thing you need is to wear a small bra, or one that makes you uncomfortable. Buy a bra that fits you now and in the future, if necessary, you'll buy another one. Trust me. I have 3 cysts at one breast, and it makes me so sad. Take care of you.