Has anyone had Obstetric Cholestasis

iVillage Member
Has anyone had Obstetric Cholestasis
Tue, 09-04-2012 - 4:06am

Long story short - Been awake the last 2 nights due to extreme itchiness in my feet and hands, Ive had about 9 hours across both nights and thats broken sleep.

Had midwife appointment today, she has sent me to get blood tests done to check for cholestasis and I have to start seeing an OB from tomorrow too, I also have to tell him about the SPD and everything else this pregnancy has thrown at me.

Nothing is working to stop the itch, I have been taking antihistamines which are making me sleepy but thats about it.

Has anyone had this, or has it now and has some indication on what it means in regards to delivery etc.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 9:19am
Random note about benedryl--you can become immune if you take it too long, so it quits working. It also impacts everyone differently and makes it harder for some of us to sleep.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 7:48pm

I am, and I am only taking one at night to help me sleep although I seem to be waking up and staying awake at all hours for all the other pregnancy related crap anyway.  I have read that they can cause a reaction in the baby if its in the system when the baby is born.  I wish I didnt have to take them at all, but I suppose at this point in time its better than trying to scratch my skin off.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 7:35pm

Careful of the antihistamines.  My OB and midwife made me quit taking Benadryl.  Not sure why, maybe because I'm high c-section risk so it's safer to have less drugs in my system, but it's worth checking what your doc's policy is.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 6:27pm

The Ob told me calamine lotion aswell, and an antihistamine which makes me drowsy enough to sleep through the worst of it. It had eased off a bit, but its starting to itch again but not completely unbearable at the moment.  I think the reason they didnt hurry the results with me is because I was only 35 weeks at the time it was found, and they wont do anything until at least 37 weeks anyways.

Good luck,hope you get it sorted soon.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 1:24pm

hi

thanks for getting back to me. what have you been given to stop the itch?

they have put me on piriton, but that does sod all. and told me to rub camamile lotion on me where i itch. ive told them that is easier said than done as the itch is not just in one place. its all over, the only place i dont itch is my boobs.

i phoned them today to see if they could hurry the tests along as i aam so sick of havin no sleep. and being so sore from the itching.  they are going to try and get them through tomorrow, failing that it will be thursday.

they have said even if the blood test shows it is not Obstetric cholestasis, i might still have it. they said sometimes it does not always show straight away.

i just want to scream!!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 6:37pm
It sucks doesn't it. I didn't have raised LFTs but my bile acids were through the roof. Waited 2 weeks but that's only because it was when the follow up appointment could be made. Now I am on weekly CTGs and blood tests and as long as they stay normal I will be induced at 38 weeks. I have my next session of monitoring tomorrow.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 2:52pm

hello

i have popped over from the november board. i to am itching. I have been itching now for 2 weeks, i itch on my legs, face and arms and feet.. i have had a blood test done and it shows raised LFTS. so now i have had a more indepth test done to see if it is Obstetric cholestasis. i had that took last friday, and have an appointment with consultant this thursday to see what my Obstetric cholestasis results say.

how long did you have to wait for yor results?

what happened once you were diagnosed?

im sooooo sick of itching :womansad: