Knee pain?

iVillage Member
Knee pain?
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 11:44am
Has anyone else been suffering from knee pain? My right knee has been hurting. I have been icing it and putting my feet up when I can. I am going to rite aid to purchase a knee brace. I was reading online that this is normal it is from added weight during pregnancy and the ligaments loosening. Monica
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 2:13pm

i havent this time around but with DS the knew pain was AWFUL!!!! if i didnt have to move i didnt! this time its just been my hips hope you get some relief soon

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 2:56pm
Thanks hon. That's so funny when I was pregnant with my daughter it was my hips! I bought a knee brace I hope it helps. I also took two Tylenol. It stinks because I have so much to get done and it is slowing me down. I hope the pain you have in your hips subsides. Did the doctor say there was anything you could do or take to help?
iVillage Member
In reply to: nvywf4lf
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 7:24pm

must be a girl thing! lol knees for boys! hips for girls!! they lay different so who knows! lol  i take two tylenol before i go to bed but not every night...and i sleep like a baby if the heartburn isnt too bad! lol thats pretty much all ive been told i can take.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 1:36am
My midwife gave me special oil to use for my tailbone, but it also seems to work on my very sore ribs. I used to have the knee and hip pain til I started using a special pillow between my knees, one in front to support the tummy and one for my back. Lol. Anyhow, try to find an oil that works for you - maybe peppermint? Have you tried heat or ice as well? Resting always works wonders, too.

- JM

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 9:50am

About the knee braces - Your thigh is bigger than your calf, so braces tend to shift downward.  It's very hard to get a good fitting one.  They restrict your range of motion, keeping your leg straighter, so you may feel temporary relief.  But wearing them for long periods can weaken your muscles, making it even harder to walk later. 

It's worth trying sport's tape.  Tape can be applied to just a few areas, offering support without the movement restriction of a brace.  I'm not talking compression tape like an ace bandage.  I'm talking about strategic placement of minimal stretchy first aid tape.  It usually comes in a roll like this http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-First-Waterproof-Adhesive-Yards/dp/B000VQUB9S/ref=sr_1_12?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1343741821&sr=1-12  (I use a different brand, I just googled quickly to give you an idea of what I mean.)  The flesh colored, waterproof, stretchy kind is best.  The paper stuff is crappy.  Do not stretch it when you apply it.  Just press it onto your skin.  You want it to stretch as you move, like a second layer of skin, so you don't stretch it first.  It only sticks if you get it in place the first time, so if you need to reposition it get a new peice of tape and start over.  Put the tape across swollen areas, extending past the area.  You want to keep swelling away from your knee, and keep your kneecap balanced.  This is what works best for lots of people:  (Lol, it's my crappy illustration)  (Some people also need a vertical strip of tape down the center.)

knee paint file.png

For more info on taping, look into Kenisio tape.  The whole idea of minimal tape got fairly popular after a woman's volleyplayer (Kerry Walsh) wore tape during the last Olympics.  It doesn't work for everyone, but it's a miracle for some people.  Good luck, I hope you get some relief soon!

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 3:31pm
3M makes a great waterproof tape - I used it when I was skating but still keep some in the house for when I wear sandals that rub. Worked great on a sprained finger, too, because you could wash your hands, and it wouldn't get all wet. ;-)

- JM

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 4:35pm
Good to know thanks!! :smileyhappy:
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 4:36pm
You are always so informative and helpful! Will look into it thanks!! :smileyhappy: