A little peeved...

iVillage Member
A little peeved...
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 8:24pm
I was feeling rather "off" today at work. Just a bit woozy, clammy, extremely fatigued. I would walk to the restroom (right outside my office door) and get winded with a racing heart by the time I got there. It just wasnt right so I called my ob. She has me come in right away and does the weight, bp, urine, etc. I'm up 5 lbs in less than a week (I've gained 12 total the ENTIRE pregnancy until now) bp was high for me at 149/90. I'm normally 90's/60's. She asks a few questions then hooks me up the the monitors. After 30 minutes I had 11 contractions. She did an exam and said cervix "was fine." After being there over an hour, I was sent for lab work and home "to rest." I was also told to call if contractions got worse. I feel like something else should have been done I guess. I am still contracting 4+ hours later and now I dont know what to do. Pregnancy def brings out the worrying :smileysad:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 9:00pm
I did not have pre-e with my DS. the labs normally take a day or two to hear back so tomorrow or Friday I would assume. My ob did say having pre-e in a second pregnancy when the father is the same after not having it in the first is extremely rare. I'm not sure how true that is though. Granted, I do not know much about the topic but I always thought it was kind of random??...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 9:33pm

Sounds like pre-e to me.  The nurse at the hospital explained it this way: high blood pressure plus any other symptom should count as pre-e.  When I was pregnant with DD, my top blood pressure number jumped 30 points and lower number jumped 15, plus a sudden weight gain and swelling.  Even though my lab work came back fine, I was still put on bed rest and a modified diet (low salt.)  So as for the blood pressure and weight gain part of your symptoms, it sounds like your doctor is doing all they can.  Just take it easy and rest.  If it gets worse, they might consider bp meds.  But I've heard the bp meds during labor have rough side effects, so hopefully you don't need them.

As for the contractions, I'm surprised they sent you home.  I thought they'd have you stay the night in the hospital for monitoring at least.  If they get worse, definitely call or go into the ER.  That baby needs to stay in another month or two!

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 10:24pm

Did your OB want you to come back to get your BP checked again? I know my OB said that when BP reaches in the 150's (high number) that they like to put you on meds. I had a problem with BP before pregnancy but have been off any BP meds for about 3 months now. Today was BP was 114/70 but as time goes on, it could increase again. I have my own blood pressure reading machine (thingie) that I can whip out whenever I want to test it. I don't use it that often anymore (knock on wood). I know pre-clamsia is a worry of mine and I hope you don't get it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 10:30pm
L, I went with my sister to my ob and we were both floored she didn't do anything about the contractions. I have no idea now when to be concerned with them : /

My regular bi weekly appt is Monday. They will just check it again then. I wasn't given instructions to go back before then.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2012 - 3:55am
My docs seem laid back, too, so it only really leaves the options of trying not to worry or looking for another doc. They basically told me I only needed to be concerned if the contractions are painful or frequent and to otherwise drink more water. Yours sound like they're pretty frequent - did the doc at least explain her reasoning? Normally, not being sent to the hospital should be reassuring. I hope they stop soon and you can get some rest!

- JM