Is this normal?

iVillage Member
Is this normal?
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 5:48am

I never had this with DS so I am not sure if its normal or not.  This pregnancy has been alot harder on my body than the first time, so I just thought I would ask around before racing off to the hospital or something.

For the last couple of days, I have been a bit dizzy, found it hard to breathe at times, heart palpatations, and generally feeling like I am going to pass out.  This is when sitting aswell as standing for more than a minute.  At first I was just getting it while standing, say in line at the checkout, which didnt worry me,  but its becoming more and more frequent and not just while standing.  It will almost feel like a panic attack with the dizziness, shortness of breath and what feels like my heart rate going through the roof.  And then just generally foggy.  It will only last a minute or so at times, or sometimes its constant for a while.  I was trying to tell DH something about a friend of ours, and I had her name in my head, i just couldnt get the words out, i just stood there staring, and thinking, just speak damn it.

I have my next mw appointment on Tuesday next week, and if its still happening, I will mention it, but just thought I would see if anyone else has anything similar and it turned out to be normal, or if i should try to see someone sooner.

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 7:41am

I get symptoms like you are describing, but never just sitting there.  It happens when I'm on my feet.  And it doesn't go away.  I have to sit down and rest.  Sometimes sitting doesn't help, and I have to put my feet up or lay down, and sometimes a cold drink helps.  If I don't rest when it happens, I will pass out (faint.)

Honestly, my symptoms are pretty extreme because it happens frequently and the symptoms are very strong.  I think your symptoms sound even worse than mine, since you get it when sitting down.  And it's kind of weird that yours go away quickly.

I would definitely talk to your doctor about it.  They'll want to make sure it's not related to your sugar levels.  Have you been tested for gestational diabetes yet?  Also, they watch my blood pressure very carefully.  Whenever I have a spell, I have to have mine checked (I run to the corner pharmacy and use the machine).  Also be aware of how baby reacts.  These dizzy spells (or whatever you call them) should not slow the baby down.  With my second pregancy, I did have to go in for a non stress test so they could monitor the baby and make sure he was handling things.  I also had a few basic tests done on my heart to make sure things were normal.  (Everything tested normal, so that wasn't the reason for the spells.)

Good luck.  It's probably nothing.  You're probably just stuck with unfortunatly extreme pregnancy symptoms.  But it's best to talk to your doctor to be on the safe side.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 8:07am

I have had my glucose test, all perfect, and whenever I have my BP checked its perfect too.  I havent really taken notice of the babys movements when its at its worst, I might try that over the next day or so.  In general, there has been no change in movement at all.  Still quite active a few times a day.  I just hate the feeling of almost passing out, its quite scary, especially in public. If I am at work, i sit next to the first aid officer and she is always keeping an eye on me.  I think I will keep a very close eye on it and try to see if there is pattern between what I am doing or not doing or perhaps even eating, and then mention it to the midwife.  I do have the vitamin D and Iron deficencies, but have been on vitamins for a couple of weeks and aside from the last couple of days, have been feeling alot better so I dont think that could be it going bad again.  Even writing this, it feels like my heart is starting to race a bit again.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 8:12am
I have been feeling dizzy too also i get nauseous if I eat too much or too fast. It wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor. How is your blood pressure? Around the 31st to the 34th week of pregnancy The uterus begins to push on the diaphragm (the flat muscle that moves up and down when you breathe ) http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/yourbody_breath.html
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 10:23am
No advice, but I would call and ask about it, rather than waiting another week to bring it up.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 4:11am

I sometimes do get the feeling that my lungs are being squished, and for that i just try and stretch out and take a few deep breaths, I figured it is just the baby taking up all the room but this is different, its a shortness of breath like I have just run a marathon, my heart races and i cannot get a breath.  It hasnt been too bad today, although the half hour walk I did at lunch certainly did a number on me, I had to sit for a minute after getting back to my desk before getting up again to go heat up my lunch.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 6:32am
Do you get panic/anxiety attacks normally? It could just be anxiety symptoms rearing their ugly head. I say *just* in the sense that physically you might be totally fine and it might be unrelated to the pregnancy. But I know that there's nothing *just* about panic/anxiety symptoms.

Luckily I've found pregnancy to be pretty protective for me so far with regard to anxiety - I haven't had heart palpitations or dizziness or the typical symptoms at all in the past 7 mos, which has been a nice respite. But I know pregnancy can cause anxiety in some people and can have no protective effect for some people who normally experience it.

(((hugs))) It's scary to feel like this. I'd definitely call your doctor before Tues if you're still experiencing it.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 7:23am

Nope, I dont normally get anxiety/panic attacks. I know the only other times I have felt like this pre pregnancy are when I am at the hospital, weird hey, not everytime i go to a hospital though, and its been happening for years.  Its usually only consistent when standing for long periods and this was before pregnancy aswell, its just lately I could have been sitting for a while and the feelings hit, feels weirder when im not moving, to feel like I am going to go down.  It doesnt make sense.  I will definitely mention something on Tuesday, unless it gets considerably worse before then.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 2:37pm
When I was pregnant with DD#1, I would get dizzy, short of breath, racing heart, and serious vertigo. It always happened at the grocery store, too. I've always had heart palpitations, even when not preggo, but they are worse when preg because the hormone, Relaxin, relaxes all your smooth muscles, including your heart. I'm always tachy when preg also, because of the increased blood volume.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 8:43pm
I would definitely call your doctor. With my brain bleed a few months back I brushed off my symptoms as being baby related so now I'm not so quick to brush things off. It would not hurt to call doctor and be checked out regardless.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 6:17am
I've been having this and both my midwife and doc gave me the same explanation. Panic attacks can be triggered physically (as opposed to when I get them from worrying) when the baby puts pressure on a particular vein/artery that goes up the back of the shoulders, neck and ears. It happens randomly and comes and goes instantly, so I at least knew it wasn't an asthma attack - very black and white. This same sort of problem is causing me huge issues with my ears and jaws - the resulting pressure on the ear canal makes me feel like I'm in a plane, and it hurts to chew. I ended up going to an orthodontist (after, like you, seeing all the other docs incl ENT) and getting a mouth guard to wear at night. It has helped massively. Hang in there - all the docs here say the panic attacks are normal, and they say it's nothing to worry about. It still feels scary, though. :-/

- JM

Pages