Panic attacks.

iVillage Member
Panic attacks.
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 1:12pm

I never had them in my life until I have my daughter.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 2:19pm
I can totally relate. Sometimes it makes my head spin. Is the house clean enough, panic, dinner is taking too long to prepare, more panic ugh. My psychologist recommended deep breathing exercises and although it made me feel silly at first it really helps me to relax and let go.
I'm glad to hear your headaches have gone away, great news!
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 3:25pm
Yep, deep breathing and visualizing something positive works for me, too. I also noticed it helps to watch my caffeine intake - my mom and I are both especially sensitive to it.

- JM

Community Leader
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 3:35pm
Oh I am so sorry you get those. They're just awful. I get them too for basically no reason. It's not like one comes on during stressful situations or after a really bad day or something. They're random.

Anxiety disorder runs in my family & my mom, sister & I all have it to varying degrees. I'm lucky that I have a pretty mild version. I usually can control mine with breathing & walking, but sometimes I need to take a Xanax when the heart palpitations and dizziness (and sweating palms, numb tingly spots, hot flashes, etc.) won't stop. It sucks. It really, really does. So far this pregnancy I've felt pretty good - my mom said hers was always in remission or something during her pregnancies, so I've been hoping that's been my situation as well. Who knows though, I could be in for a doozy any second.

You HAVE to take care of yourself girl. These things are no joke. You can't do anything or worry about anything when your whole body is saturated in adrenaline and you're in fight or flight mode. I just wish you were getting a break from them like I have been. (((hugs))) It's good that you're still able to work out, I've found that burning off excess energy at least three days a week helps keeps mine in check.

Photobucket

Community Leader
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 3:37pm
Oh and I'm not surprised they came on after the birth of your daughter...in women they're often very related to hormones. I get really edgy & have anxiety attacks much more frequently when I'm expecting the curse, and sometimes if it's an extra special month, I get it during ovulation time too! Yay!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 4:23pm
I used to spontaneously hyperventilate when I was having a panic attack. Those were from social anxiety disorder. I got a job and a social life, those attacks went away, but morphed into a new kind. Lucky me. I now get heart palpitations and tachycardia when I'm stressed out. Whenever I'm pregnant, I get these attacks, but they aren't from my disorder, they are because my heart has to work harder to pump the larger amount of blood that has increased in our bodies. My doctor said tachycardia and heart palpitations are a common complaint in pregnant women. I hate them! I feel like I can't do anything without having a heart attack!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers