Possible GD Vent....

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Possible GD Vent....
Sat, 08-11-2012 - 3:53pm

Ok so...I had GD with my first two pregnancies.  I had always failed the 1 hour and last time I passed the 3 hour but only by 2 points.  Two weeks after passing it I ended up being diagnosed with it because my sugars jumped like crazy and I ended up having to take glyburide because my fasting numbers were ridiculous.  This time I am going through a civilian clinic, so everything is different.  When I took the 1 hr my blood sugar level came back at 135 (140 is their cut off).  They tested me right at 24 weeks.  I asked my MW if that was a little early and if I could test again around 28-30 weeks.  She said no and that I passed and I should follow a semi GD diet just to be safe.  Just to be safe????  I mean you have it or your don't.  Anywho I told her that if I did not have it that I would watch most what I ate but not be tied down to it.  She said that's fine. 

Now a few weeks ago I told her I started feeling "off" sluggish and what not.  She said my Iron  levels were low so I was anemic and started my on supplements.  Those have since returned to normal levels.  Now this week the sluggish is still there but now I am angry all the time.  I mean little things set me off and I fly off at the handle.  My body just feels "off" again, hard to explain I suppose.  I asked her if I could repeat the 1 hour test, and again no.  I asked her if she would prescribe me some test strips so I can use my meter and at least see how my sugars are looking, again she said I didn't need too UGH!

So I went to walmart a bit ago and bought my own meter and strips, and those suckers are not cheap!  Anywho I tested my blood, this is 4 hours after I had lunch btw.  My blood sugar was 131!!!!  UGH.  So I plan on testing like I would the rest of the weekend to see how I look.  Maybe it was a bad day or time.  But I just don't understand why my MW seems to care less.  I thought MW's were supposed to be more personal!!!!???  Anywho sorry about the long vent....

Korin

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-11-2012 - 7:23pm

Because I am the way I am...I'd be testing like you are..taking pictures/keeping a log of my levels.....taking them to THAT MW...and then saying thatnk you for your concern and care...But clearly you are not the right person to be "caring" for me or my baby. Find a new MW/provider that will treat you as you SHOULD be treated.......

That is unacceptable. I'm sorry.... I'm pissed off FOR you.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-11-2012 - 8:40pm

She should definitely be listening to you!  I can't believe she wouldn't let you do the test again, given your history.  My midwife acts like that sometimes - just keeps telling me everything will work out and doesn't like to invest time in tests.  I think some midwives act like that trying to be calm and reassuring, but it does screw things up when they miss a diagnosis.  Definitely talk to her and push for a new test/diagnosis.  Since you were on medication before, managing diet might not be good enough and you might need that medicine again.  I hope she listens to you this time.  If she doesn't, I'd request to talk to someone else.  Most midwives report to an OB.  Is there an OB at the office you could take your concerns to?  Good luck and keep us posted.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-11-2012 - 8:56pm

While i can't relate to the midwife part, mine has been pretty good, although I have only seen her twice, the doctor I was seeing at the beginning was much the same as your midwife.  I get really bad allergies to the point where I can't function, because I can't see, can't think, cant do anything.  I told her about it and I asked if I can take antihistamines, to which she replied, no because they dont work. I said well, actually they do and make me feel much better so I want pregnancy safe ones but she wouldnt listen.  Went to another doctor who gave me a list of ones I can take.  Same with my really bad tension headaches, she was adamant that I could not take anything for them, even though they were horrible and basically 24/7.  Went to another doctor who gave me something for them, all safe in pregnancy.  Even with my anemia and vitamin D deficiency, she tried to pass the symptoms off as just being pregnant so I went to another doctor who ordered the blood tests.  I'd be asking for a second opinion somewhere.  While I have never had GD, it doesnt sound like something that should be ignored if there is a possibility.

Community Leader
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 10:58am
I'd be furious! How dare she be so dismissive of you? I can't stand medical providers who treat their patients like imbecilic children. It's seriously my biggest pet peeve. Particularly when it comes to women and their reproductive health - I feel like in that arena there is just an extra layer of condescending head patting, and "you just listen to me and don't worry your pretty little head."

Ugh. Good for you for being proactive and testing! It's absurd that you had to do it though. I'd love to see her face when you show up with all these test numbers.....that a-hole. Is it possible for you to switch providers? I hope you can!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 9:17am
I would seriously consider switching providers, Korin. Just like not all OBs are created equal, neither are midwives. I strongly believe we know our bodies best, and if you feel "off," then something's off. You have the numbers to back it up. Are you going to call today?
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 2:10pm

Your midwife is a piece of work.  Switching to the other office is probably a good thing.  The drive won't be fun, but at least you'll get somebody who actually knows what they're doing.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 6:51am
I like your midwife's attitude/reasoning, but it's her job to acknowledge your wishes and not just turn you away or belittle you! I had weird numbers early on, but the doc says since I was tested first tri, I don't need testing again. I'm not so sure that's sound advice, but I do appreciate an easy-going doc since I tend to be a worry-wart. I figure if baby and I both appear healthy, that's the most important thing. Anyhow, it's very important you can trust your midwife and doc and actually feel secure and safe. I hope you can get some reassuring medical attention asap!

- JM

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2012 - 3:48am
Oh no! Well that explains why MW didn't want anything to do with a GD diagnosis. Good thing you persisted!

- JM