Question about breastfeeding

iVillage Member
Question about breastfeeding
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 12:49pm

What is a good source of breastfeeding info?  I feel like all the things I read are VERY biased.  I have two situations that I can't find good answers to.  Everything I read says you need to breastfeed exclusively for 5-6 weeks before introducing a bottle.  These are my two concerns...

1.  If this pregnancy goes to fullterm, I will have my gallbladder surgery when baby is 3 weeks old.  I will be breastfeeding.  The baby will need to take a bottle on surgery day.  How early should I introduce a bottle?  Should I attempt to pump that early, or just supplement with formula?

2.  I am on a completely fat free diet due to the gallbladder.  Since lots of vitamins are fat soluble, I can't absorb many vitamins.  Everything I read says "your breastmilk is magic, it's perfect for baby."  But how can it be perfect if I don't have any fat or half the vitamins?  Will my milk be good enough for the baby?

If anyone knows a good source of info, I'd really appreciate it.  The local La Leche League is not a good source for me, they're kind of earth mama hippies who don't tolerate bottles, if you know what I mean.  If I can't find good info, I'll probably just wait until baby is born and then ask the pediatrician.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 1:27pm
1. Bottles: Peter got a bottle at a couple days old because of latch issues, and it was fine. Most recommendations are from 3-6 weeks. Since you'll be having surgery, I would start pumping early, and then make sure he's comfortable with a bottle.

2. No advice on this, but there's a Breastfeeding Support board here with a certified lactation consultant who answers questions. You may want to ask there. http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/Breastfeeding-Support-Ask-the/ct-p/iv-ppbreastfeed

As far as asking the pedi, many don't actually have training about infant nutrition and breastfeeding. Ours has no clue. I rely heavily on lactation consultants for advice.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 6:38am
I think if the baby has already learned how to breastfeed, it shouldn't make a difference that you use a bottle for a little while if you need to. I think the problem arises when the baby never truly learns to latch on. I'd ask a nurse or midwife for non-biased info. If you pump early, you'll have to freeze and thaw in the fridge. Heating the milk will kill nutrients. You'll also have to shake it, because it settles into layers if you store it. As far as I know, formula has the same nutrients, just not the antibodies. I'm no expert, so definitely find someone to ask!

- JM

Community Leader
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 7:37am
Kellymom is a good source for breastfeeding information. It has this to say about the effect of a woman's diet on her breastmilk/breastfeeding -

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-diet/

Basically it points out that you can eat like absolute crap and your breastmilk will still be good for your baby. It talks about how in some areas of the world women subsist on rice with very little else in their diets and their breastmilk is still healthy/sustains their babies.

It's more important to focus on getting enough calories & fluids to maintain your milk supply than it is to worry about what's making up those calories fat/vitamin-wise. And really, since this will be a temp situation for you - I'd try not to stress about it too much.

As far as the nipple confusion thing goes - I will let other people answer since I have zero experience with it! :smileyhappy:

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 9:20am
Heating doesn't kill nutrients in breastmilk, but some of the live cultures won't survive. It still provides more benefits than formula; there are a lot of different components to breastmilk that can't be man-made in a factory.

And please don't shake it! It should be swirled gently to mix. Shaking can cause even more damage to the good stuff, but it can also cause it to form into butter. Who knew, right?!
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 11:13am

Thanks for the advice.  I'll keep everything in mind.  My first two were formula fed, so I'm still struggling with the idea of breastfeeding anyway.  Guilty to admit it, but I'd be relieved if I found out I couldn't breastfeed this kid.  My breast pump parts (tubes and valves and storage bottles etc.) all came in the mail this week so the reality hit me that we're really doing this.  I think I just need to slow down and quit worrying and take some time.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

Community Leader
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 6:17pm
Don't feel guilty.

I'm super committed to breastfeeding my son and as it gets closer and closer to being a reality.....I have to admit I'm dreading it.

How miserable it'll be at first while we're both getting the hang of it; how often he'll nurse in the early days; how beholden I will still be to him physically; how limited I'll still be in terms of alcohol and caffeine consumption; how I'll basically be "on my own" with feeding him as no one will be able to help; how I'll have to start pumping soon after he's born to try to build up a stash; how touched out I'm probably going to feel at times....

It just seems utterly overwhelming to me at times and really, realIy unpleasant. I'm just trying to cut myself some slack and see how it goes. It's hard to imagine it being something I enjoy, but I know lots of people do. So I'm sure I'll get through it....and you will too! But really, don't feel bad about being like, "ehhhhhhhhh" regarding the whole thing at this point!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2012 - 3:41am
Lol. Breast butter! Who knew? :-P Infant and pregnancy advice definitely is different over here. It tends to jump between the latest findings and old wives tales. ;-) The baby food aisle also shocked me - all had either milk or wheat in them! I was hoping to start this baby on Gerber rice cereal mixed with breast milk or water when the time comes. Plus, nearly all had added sugar!! I'll definitely D-I-Y if I can.

I love to hear that breast milk will be sufficient even if mom's nutrition is less than ideal. They reassured me of the same for pregnancy. I started at a very low weight to begin with (<18 BMI) and on top of that I've had HG-like m/s the whole time, but so far this little baby is right on target and even in the higher percentiles here and there. ;-)

- JM