really swollen gums

iVillage Member
really swollen gums
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 9:40am

I haven't been to the dentist in about a year, I know I am due but I figured I would go after the baby is born. Thankfully I have no cavities are any serious issues with my teeth but nevertheless always hated going to the dentist. When I woke up this morning I noticed that my gums are really swollen kind of puffy and hurt when I put my tongue against it the gum, especially on the right side? Just wondering if there is anything I could do to bring down the swelling without having to make a trip to the dentist.

TIA!

Monica

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 9:50am
How often do you floss? If you haven't in awhile, floss, brush them really good, then use a powerful mouthwash. Sounds like pregnancy induced gingivitis. You can reverse it and get rid of it yourself, if you follow that above routine twice a day. I've never had it, but my dentist let me know how to handle it if it did come up. The flossing and brushing will irritate your gums at first. As far as mouthwashes go, get one that says specifically for gingivitis.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 9:57am
The dentist told me yesterday that gums can grow due to mouth hygeine and hormonal changes. And having extra bloodflow doesn't help; it can make gums swell. I feel your pain (literally).
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 11:16am
I floss once a day, I know it should be twice a day. The swelling is on the right side of my mouth, it looks very puffy and hurts. Hoping to bring the swelling down. I will look for that mouthwash today. Thank you!
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 11:17am
You are so good for going to the dentist. I have been thinking about making an appointment.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 11:27am
I had no choice; I broke a tooth last week. He rebuilt it yesterday. The metal band and wedges that went up under the gum did a number on me.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 11:42am
Ouch, sorry. Feel better.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 11:50am
Yep, our hormones are what causes the gingivitis. That's why it's pretty common in pregs. I refuse to go to the dentist, unless it's an emergency, when I'm pregnant, because 1- my gag reflex will make me puke all over them (no joke), and 2- my mouth bleeds a lot and those dental assistants are less than gentle. I get my teeth cleaned twice a year normally, so I don't think sitting one out for 9 months is a huge problem :smileywink:
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 2:50pm

OMG i hate the dentist also! last time i went was for a deep cleaning and they had to numb me up! and that stuff made me gag! just putting in those plastic things to take pictures make me gag! and i felt like a total wimp because i was about to puke in front the kids waiting behind me! lol but whatever! my gums get swollen like that every once in a while...i usually only floss once a day at night before i go to bed. but i usually only have one spot where my gums swell tho. Good Luck i hope it goes away.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 4:45pm
Thank you :smileyhappy: Yes, me too! I also gag :smileysad: