Scoliosis

iVillage Member
Scoliosis
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 9:28am
Does anyone know if scoliosis is affected during pregnancy. I injured my back at work about a year/year and a half ago. I slipped a disk when I fell went to physical therapy and got straightened out. Since then about every 3-4 months i have issues and have to go back to PT. Last time, I was sent for X-rays and was told I have scoliosis and degenerative disk disease.

When this re-injury happened last time, I couldn't even stand straight and my spine was leaning to one side. For the most part, each time I know what I did to re-injure it. The first time was a fall at work, second time my DS ran and jumped on me the wrong way, the third time I sneezed really hard. This time I have absolutely no idea what happened but it is the worst it's ever been. My spine is severely leaning to the right as in my body now looks "s" shaped. The pain is unbearable. I start PT again today but I am so worried this could be added stress from the pregnancy even though I have lost weight. With that, I am freaking out thinking I am going to be the "s" shaped freak for the next 5 months. If anyone has any input, I'd love to hear it.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 9:53am
As certain exercises (or even ballet) can have a positive effect, I wouldn't see why pregnancy wouldn't affect it. Do you know if a chiropractor could do adjustments starting in 2T or not?

Before I was PG, I was also visibly out of alignment and had about 3 adjustments and then let it fall into place over time by getting some deep tissues massages after that.

I'm def planning on getting massages as soon as I can to avoid letting things get too far out if alignment. They don't let you before 15w, though, afaik.

- JM

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 10:23am

That sounds awful.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 10:30am

Based on quick input from a facebook friend with scoliosis (she has a metal rod in her back and has 4 children under the age of 8)... Pregnancy doesn't usually increase spine curves.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 11:01am
JM- I am terrified of chiropractors. It seems like once you are there, it is a lifetime thing. Massages though...I could totally go for that!

L- I have never had a single back pain until about a year and a half after DS was born. Not one ache or pain. I just left therapy and they gave me some different exercises to try that doesn't involve laying on your stomach. If they don't help in 24 hrs then the PT is going to try to re-align using pressure. Whatever needs to happen to fix it is fine with me. I asked him how pregnancy effects scoliosis and he said it isn't so much the spinal curvature as it is the ligaments surrounding the spine. We all know pregnancy loosens ligaments.

Thank you ladies for responding and helping me feel better!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 11:09am
I have a mild case of scoliosis but don't do anything for it. I didn't even think that might be a problem. Will have to ask OB tomorrow.
i am sorry you are having issues.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 4:36pm
I have scoliosis. It makes my upper back hurt during pregnancy, instead of my lower back. I also don't wear my babies because of it. My eipidural had to be placed further over to the left side of my spine because it hit right where my curve is. I don't have it as bad as you do though. I got monthly prenatal massages and those helped a bit. I am going to go bi-weekly this time instead of once a month though, I think I will benefit more from that. Have you looked into a back brace in addition to your PT? Maybe that would help keep you aligned for a bit?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 4:40pm
Chiropractors and massages basically do the same thing, but chiropractors are basically forcing things back into place, whereas a massage coaxes everything back. It takes longer, but my massage therapist back in Texas said it's healthier unless you're dealing with something major.

One Christmas, I was unable to even turn my head, so I was desperate enough to brave my fears. I brought along DH, Mom and Sis for support, though. Lol. At that point, I had gone without a massage for a couple years. Apparently, I need to keep up with them!

- JM

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-19-2012 - 9:38am
Hey there...

I have scoliosis and I've also got lower disc issues to boot. I herniated a disc while moving about 10 years ago and ended up in pt for months. My scoliosis causes a slight twist in my body and if I stand up straight & you look at me head on you would notice that my right shoulder is 1-2 inches lower than the left due to the twisting. In addition I was rear ended by a drunk driver when I was 19, which causes upper back issues.

Every now and then my lower back really gets out of whack... maybe every other year or so. I go to the chiropractor & he gets me back in shape. When it's really bad I go twice a week and then we wean me down to once a week, once every two weeks, once a month then nothing. A good chiropractor will have a goal of not necessarily seeing you, lol. When it's really bad I totally look toward to traction & the relief it provides.

I hope you go & can get some relief. Back pain is horrifying.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-19-2012 - 9:42am
Oh, and my chiropractor added two massage therapists to his practice too.

Photobucket<