30w3d appt and decided to hire doula

iVillage Member
30w3d appt and decided to hire doula
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 2:11pm

My appointment went well. I see a Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor and the clinic has two doctors who share a practice. I usually end up seeing the female doctor but this time she was on vacation so I got to see her partner. At my last appointment, my doctor said that I was doing so well that I probably wouldn't need any more ultrasounds unless things change. Since I saw a different doctor yesterday, he said I could have an ultrasound in 2 weeks. I wasn't about to tell him that the other doctor said that I didn't need one. I just want to see Karsten so I think it is awesome. :smileyhappy:

I gained one pound in two weeks which makes me still 6 pounds down from my pre-pregnancy weight. It is slowly creeping up which is to be expected. My blood pressure was good at 108/68.

We also had our birthing class last night and and we knew the instructor was a doula but just found out that she is certified in hypnobirthing. We want to hire her to be our doula but the only problem I see is that we have a cat and she is allergic. I emailed her that we could always meet at my mom's house since she doesn't have any pets. I hope it works out because she knows her stuff. We also found out yesterday that the Maternal Fetal Medicine doctors don't do vaginal deliveries because in the doctor's words "then we would live at the hospital". I guess they only do their planned c-sections. This means that I will get one of the 12 hospital OB doctors whoever is on shift at the time. I don't think I like that all that much because there is no way to meet all the 12 OBs at the hospital. This is one reason why we now want a doula because we will know her ahead of time and she can be our advocate if need be. Hypnobirthing still isn't super common and I don't want to get a doctor and/or nurse who never heard of it and cause problems. That is another reason why I want my instructor as my doula because of her hypnobirthing certification.

We are getting our nursery painted today. Yeah! Now we need to buy the crib.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 3:16pm
I wouldn't worry *too* much about not meeting the OBs. With DD, my OB was out of town and his wife had to deliver me. I practiced pushing with a midwife and when DD started crowning, the OB came in just in time to catch the baby, deliver the placenta, and sew me up, then she was gone! It's the nurses that really need to know your plan. I mean, whoever the OB is on call needs to know also, but unless there is a problem, you probably won't even see them. (this was how it was at MY hospital, could be very different elsewhere)

Having a doula is a great idea! and post pics of the nursery when you get it up!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 8:48pm
Patti- nice birth story. I really like my doula. She actually teaches the birthing class so I know she knows her stuff. :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2012 - 12:09pm
Good news. My instructor will be our doula. Yeah! We will just meet at my mom's house for the pre-labor visit. I will definitely post pics of karsten's room when done. :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2012 - 9:23pm
Sounds like you had a great appt! Great idea to get a doula. Hypnobirthing sounds so awesome! What color are you painting the nursery? Exciting! :smileyhappy:
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 12:44am
Nursery is a dusty blue. :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 2:25pm
That's great news! We hired a mid-wife for the very same reason. I think all hospitals around here work with whatever doc or midwife that happens to be on duty. Only this one we hired will plan to be at the birth. I did end up meeting most of the docs while in the hospital during the first trimester, so if medical intervention is necessary, I still feel comfortable. Do they not have monthly events where you can meet the staff? We still need to take the tour. Lol.

- JM

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 6:02pm
I am not sure if they have monthly events to meet doc. I am thinking not because they are hospital docs. ????
Photobucket