34w3d Appointment

iVillage Member
34w3d Appointment
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 11:55am

Mostly positive!

Heartbeat was 150.  Total weight gain 17 lbs now.  Had the GBS culture done.  The doctor had me lay back and felt around at my belly so he could do a quick size/position check.  The kiddo is finally head down, which is fantastic (hopefully he stays that way) and the doctor said he thinks he's average size and will probably be around seven lbs at birth, which is nice to hear.  Honestly, with as wacky as the weight readings can be on ultrasounds, I'm more likely to believe an experienced doctor going by feel, you know?

The only meh part was my bp was a bit high - 120/94.  The doctor is an insane person and thought I should go out of work!!!  I told him NO.  He seemed shocked!  Haha!  My urine screen was clear of protein and I have no other symptoms of pre-e (headache, swelling, rapid weight gain, etc.)  Unless I win the lottery tonight, going out of work six weeks early for basically no reason is just not on my financial agenda.  I told him I'd take it super easy, monitor my bp at home & cut back to three or four day weeks if need be (I have loads of vacation time and can do it, thankfully).  Obviously if my bp goes nuts, I'll do whatever I need to for his health & my own, but to quit working now?  Over one iffy reading?  No.  No way.  My job isn't so stressful or overwhelming that I need a break from it.  I sit in a comfy chair in my office all day - not much different than what I'd be doing at home "resting."

So overall a good appointment, very relieved the baby is head down.  But the bp reading is stressing me out.  Hopefully it dips back down and stays down for at least a few more weeks.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 12:13pm

Glad everything else went well at the appointment.  I'm sorry your blood pressure spiked.  I think you're right to not stop working based on one reading.  It could have been an error, no sense changing your whole life yet with no other symptoms.  Hopefully it reads lower from now on.  Try not to stress too much about it.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 12:43pm

im the opposite now with doctor 'feeling' baby position. i had two doctors feel my belly and say he was head down. Then got an ultrasound that said he is transverse, head in my ribs. i guess since he is so big, they thought his butt was his head lol

i agree with working... if you're able to sit and relax at work just as you would do at home.... id want to get a paycheck! lol

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-01-2012 - 6:29am
Courtney - Oh def. I can see why there'd be some concern, but to order me out of work because of one reading? 5.5 weeks before my due date?! It just seemed really extreme to me.

So, I got a bp monitor yesterday. BP was 127/83 last night at 6:10 pm and it was 123/86 at 6:12 this morning. Happy to see the low number dip back down below 90, though I wish it were a little lower. One thing I know though about my body is when I'm doing regular cardio (and regular doesn't mean a ton - even a couple walks a week will do it) my lower bp number hovers around 70. When I'm not, it creeps into the low 80s. Since getting the evil crotch pain, I've stopped working out again, so it's very possible it's attributable to that.

We'll see though. I'm not averse to monitoring it and to taking it really easy and everything. I'm getting down to the end, it's fine to slow down and start keeping an eye on things. And if it really does start to spike, and I have to go out of work, I will. But over one iffy reading? No way. Not unless I win the lottery! LOL. :smileyhappy:

Photobucket