36w appointment

iVillage Member
36w appointment
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 3:43pm

I had my 36w appointment htis morning. My BP is up for me (110/74), but not enough to worry about yet. DH has a cuff somewhere, so he said he would keep a check on it for me. Baby rolled over to my right side finally (explaining the crazy rib pain that woke me up about 4am), which my midwife was really happy about. She's already worried I'll have a fast labor; if (s)he stayed on the left, we would have been looking at a REALLY fast birth. I was told to call if I feel anything at all like labor. She would rather me get checked out and observe me for a couple hours rather than make DH deliver me at home or in the car.And she's a bit concerned that I've only gained 10 pounds at this point. If movements slow down, I'm to eat a snack, lay down, and see if they pick back up. Apparently the fact  that I still throw up daily really bothers her. I'm used to it.

Most random part? I got to do my own GBS swab. She handed me the swab and a baggie, told me how far to go, and said she would meet me at the front desk.

by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 5:41pm
Great to hear y'all are doing well. That's hilarious about the DIY swab!!

- JM

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 3:45am

Ok so I have to ask, is there a reason for the left side being a concern for fast labor, this one has been on my left side pretty much the whole time.  I guess I want to know if its because of a personal thing, or a general thing of babies coming out faster if they are on the left.

And I find it funny about the swab because with DS, I did my own at my 36 week appointment, and this time the mw gave me the stuff for it at my 33 week appointment, so when 36 weeks rolls around, I can do it at home and take it back in to her.  After already having been through it all once before, I am still funny about people going down there to have a look around.  So I am glad I do get to do my own and can leave the absolutely critical stuff to the professionals.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 9:41am
The left side was more a concern because I had a 6.5 hour labor last time (and that included 1.5 hours of pushing). Something about position of organs and such can't slow baby down as much. I don't think it's too much a worry unless they're already afraid you'll go fast.
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 5:34pm
Jealous of your DIY swab! I get mine next appointment. It's fast and easy, but I'd so rather do it myself...
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 8:08am
So which is better - LO on my left or doc's left? We had issues deciding what is "left" at my ladt acupuncture session. Lol.

This LO keeps rolling around and changing sides all day - if only she would respond to my nudges and not be so darn determined to do her own thing. ;-)

- JM

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-14-2012 - 9:06am
(s)He was on MY left, now on my right. I think it's probably not that big a deal, but they're already worried about me having a precipitous labor.
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-15-2012 - 3:29am
Yeah, as FTM I doubt I'll be too fast. Lol. Anyhow, I was curious so thanks for the info!

- JM