37 Week Appt

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
37 Week Appt
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 5:18am

I had my 37 week appointments on Monday... first was the ultrasound- Lacey was trying to eat her fist, lol. She looks great, and she's already over 7 pounds.  At the OB appt had some decent, regular contractions and baby girl was looking good on the NST. Doctor couldn't take me out of work until 38 weeks, so boo. I cried. Hard. Poor doc called me later to make sure I was ok. I've only got 3 more days of work until I hit 38 weeks, so I can do it!

They are going to induce me at 39 weeks. They are going to give me the date at my next appt on Monday, but I think I'm going to call them later this morning to find out sooner rather than later if I can... my boss will be at my store today and I'd like to have some concrete information for him. Well, ok, and for me. :smileyhappy:

I am nervous about being induced... most of the stories I've heard have ended in failed inductions and it scares the crap out of me. I'm hoping that my body does what it's supposed to.

BabyFruit Ticker
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

**1st miscarriage January 1996* *2nd miscarriage June 2008* *3rd miscarriage August 2011**

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 8:47am

Only 3 more days of work, you'll survive.  Glad baby is healthy.  As for the induction, don't stress about it.  I think most woman tell stories either two ways.  One, they make it sound easy like they're a superhero and let you know you could never live up to their awesome skills.  Or two, they make it sound like literal Hell on Earth and let you know that you will never suffer as badly as them.  Lol, people rarely tell the truth.  Here's what happened to me, if you want a bit more balanced approach.  I'm not saying I love inductions, but it wasn't terrible.

I've been induced twice.  I honestly did not have bad contractions, never once considered an epidural because it just wasn't that bad, and had short labors.  I truly think toothaches and migraines are harder to deal with than those contractions.  At the worst points in contractions, it felt like menstral cramps, uncomfortable but all very tolerable.  Now the final minutes, actually pushing the baby out, that hurt!  And I had some complications from too quick delivery.  But that could have happened regardless of the induction.  The part that bugged me most about inductions was the restricted movement.  They monitor you closely, so you can't really get up and walk around or change birthing positions.  The most I was allowed to do was sit in a rocking chair next to the bed.  And if you have a vaginal insert (like Cervadil) you won't be able to get up to go to the bathroom for several hours, which is a pain when you have an IV pumping you full of fluid.

So yeah, don't stress.  Inductions have some drawbacks, but they aren't horrible.  And you've been feeling so bad anyway that you can just be glad it'll be over soon.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

Community Leader
In reply to:
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 11:12am
Only three more days!!! Woot! Courtney that's awesome. I'm so, so glad for you that you'll get a break and some rest....soon! You have been such a freaking trouper.

I'm worried about an induction as well, for the same reasons. No date set firm yet or anything, but they typically won't let a high bp patient go more than 39 weeks. So it's looming out there as a possibility. I'm just hoping all the discomfort I've been feeling with bh contractions, pelvis pain/pressure, stabbing vag pains in the walls and around my cervix, etc. have been doing something to prepare my body so it's responsive to being induced. I hope the same is true for you!

I love that Lacey was eating her fist. There's nothing cuter to me than when babies chew on their hands! I can't stand it!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 3:35pm
You've got this, Courtney! Three more days. Ten more or so until you meet Lacey! And your induction will go just fine! :smileyhappy:
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
In reply to:
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 5:44pm
Wow! It must be exciting knowing you're so close! 7 pounds sounds like a ready-to-go LO to me. :-)

- JM