Bed rest :-(

iVillage Member
Bed rest :-(
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 4:47am
Doc says I'm still having contractions, so I'm on bed rest and have to go in again tomorrow for monitoring. No dialation, so that's good, but I'm on magnesium and some other supplement to try and calm
things down. T&P much appreciated!

She said that since the baby is so active, all those kicks might even be causing the contractions. I totally back that theory. ;-) I think Valerie must be playing gopher in there - my tummy looks just like the cartoons with the gophers tunneling under the grass...

- JM

iVillage Member
In reply to: txdela
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 8:39am
I am right there with you lady! We can be bed rest buddies. How are you holding up because I am going NUTS!! I've been on bed rest for almost two weeks. Blah
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 10:16am
Sorry sweetie, praying for you and baby that time flies. In the meantime, rent some good movies, read a good book and rest. ((hugs))
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 11:35am

I'm sorry.  Bed rest sucks, I've been there.  Are you on restrictions to take it easy, or complete bed rest?  Hopefully they still let you up enough to stretch your legs, take a shower, all of that.  I overheard a new grandmother at church yesterday bragging about her new grandbaby - he was born 6 weeks early and perfectly healthy around 6 pounds, didn't need any oxygen or anything.  I hope you keep this baby in a few more weeks, but at least you know you're in a safe time now.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 11:46am
I am jealous of those that have their babies early like that and don't need anything!! My bestie had hers at 33 weeks last November. The kiddo needed a little help with something (can't remember what) but was able to go home with mommy and everything. Baby was a girl, too. My DS was 3W early and still spent 2 weeks in the NICU! I'm not saying I wish unhealthy babies to anyone that has them early at all...I'm just jealous lol.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 7:06pm

Hopefully bedrest will settle things down a bit.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 10:49pm
Thanks for all of the well wishes! I've basically been in bed for 8 months now because of all the m/s, so I've got a sort of rhythm of things I can do from bed. Lol. For example, I can't reno our kitchen, but DH did the measuring, and I have been doing all the planning using the laptop. Thank God for laptops, ipods and crochet. ;-) Anyhow, it's somewhere between take it easy bed rest and strict bed rest - I can do the necessary things, but I need to keep my feet up as much as I can to try to stop my measurements from getting shorter. Doc said she would send me to the hospital if complete bed rest were necessary. I really want to avoid that, because I would have to go to another hopsital further away, since my chosen hospital doesn't have a level two or three nicu. We just have to hang in there for about ten more days to deliver here - ofc the later the better considering we only have a few basic baby items and we haven't been able to do baby's room or our new bedroom. The crib isn't here yet either - now I'm glad MIL went ahead and got that basinett despite my concern. ;-) She also brought back the cutest little lamb fleece blanket and toy from Switzerland...

So yeah, it's 4 am here, but I'll keep you posted after my appt this afternoon. Not sure if baby or the supplement woke me up. The vaginal ascorbic acid suppository is literally a pain in the... and I got freaked out by the side effects, thinking I had an infection or broke my water. It turns out itching, burning and watery discharge are all normal side effects. Fun stuff. Next time I think I'll read the warnings first - who knew 'vitamin C' could stain underwear. Lol.

- JM

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 12:06pm

I sympathize with you right now.  I've been useless for these 8 months, barely leaving the house.  I just want this to be over, but I know it's too early.  My hospital doesn't have a NICU either, so baby would be helicoptered to the big hospital (an hour's drive) if I did have him now.

I hope your meds work and you can hang in there a few more weeks.  And I hope that crib gets here soon!  Keep us posted.

Oh, when are you due?  I'm mixing people up.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 3:43pm
Sry I fell asleep right after eating when I got back. Lol. Good news: I measured the same! So that means sitting for bed rest doesn't help, but lying down flat enough to spare my cervix some gravititational pull does work. I guess I'll be crocheting away the next few days - I'm finishing Valerie's fourth sweater tonight. I think I should start on a king size throw... ;-)

Due date is still Oct 7, so it's just a matter of slowing things down for a few more weeks. Doc said the contractions are likely due to baby beating up my uterus with punching and kicking. She was even bench pressing the CTG monitor and her pulse would shoot up from 140 to 180 for the workout. It sounded even funnier - it was like she was tapping on a microphone and would say "Is this thing on?" any minute. I can't for the next good ol' external u/s to see what that rascal is up to!

So is it just the two of us on bed rest right now? Are you on for the duration or for the time being? Honestly, I totally feel she's dropped, so it's almost a nice excuse to stay off my feet without feeling guilty. I suppose it is also kind of comforting to know that she'll probably be ready to come out as soon as we're ready for her. :-)

And I learned my lesson about vaginal suppositories - make sure to put them in as deep as you can!! The side effects were probably because somebody failed to do so - guilt confirmed when it fell out the next day. Lol.

- JM