Delivery room tour

iVillage Member
Delivery room tour
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 5:24pm
Had my midwife appointment at the hospital today, and she gave me & DH a tour of the delivery room, which was huge and seemed more like a birthing center. Births must be pretty rare here - we did the CTG, acupuncture and had tea in one of the rooms, so I got to try out the delivery bed and have a look at everything. Lol. The best was "free samples" of their post-partum pads, and a 'piddle pad' of sorts in case my water breaks at home. I guess I can skip the towel and trash bag method now. ;-)

I hope I wasn't crazy to skip the birthing classes - DH's work schedule really didn't work with the times, and I didn't want to drive over there alone since vomex is also a sedative... Does watching a few seasons of A Baby Story in college count for anything? :-)

- JM

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 7:25pm

i love how you got to have tea in the hopital! americans would give you ice water lol. or nothing at all. if you didnt get the piddle pad, i would have suggested puppy pads! haha sure, baby story counts for me! i went to birthing classes with my first and they did nothing for me. every birth is different, a class wont help much in my opinion. at least baby story shows a personal look.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 6:16am

I havent done the hospital tour, although I probably should being that its a new hospital, but considering I have to go there for weekly monitoring now, Ill know the place pretty well.

With DS, we did a tour and it was basically walking around, went into a birthing suite had a 5 min look and then left, that was it, i think there may have been a quick stop on the post natal ward.  We got to see a newborn, that was literally 5min old though, that was pretty cool, we had to wait for the mw to go and ask the parents permission to play show and tell with their baby.  And those game enough could look at the placenta.  I chose not to, DH had a look.

We also went to the first birthing class with DS, decided it was useless and didnt go to anymore.  We just figured that everyone is different and nothing they told me couldnt be gotten from friends and family anyways.  Plus we really didnt want to watch the videos of people giving birth.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 8:14am

I think the classes are great for people that will actually use the techniques.  Personally, when I'm in pain I'm kind of a jerk, lol, so no amount of calming techniques will help.  Dh has been given lots of instructions for how to deal with me: do not touch me unless I want you to, no sulking if I snap at you, no eating in the room, no complaining you are bored/uncomfortable/impatient, etc.  And I think I've gotten plenty of practice with breathing all those times I've fought hard against throwing up.

I'm glad you got a good hospital tour.  Sounds like you're in a nice place!

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 2:12am
Follow-up: yes, Baby Story and a private session of prenatal yoga ended up being just right. ;-) For some reason, I got randomly occurring contractions and no breaks between the pain. And yes, I was allowed to eat throughout and even turn a bit in bed after I had the epi. DH had to leave the room, but their extreme cautiousness and serious attitude about it actually helped me worry less about worst-case side effects. I do wish I hadn't had HG and was able to do more for my muscles - I at least stretched my hips the whole time, and I ended up with no pain there. Still don't think the doc believes me. lol

- JM