Fat free diet, preemie risk :(

iVillage Member
Fat free diet, preemie risk :(
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 2:38pm

I met with the gallbladder surgeon today.  He said my baby is too big and up to high, there is no way to remove the gallbladder without puncturing the uterus.  But he said my current risk of infection is really high and my pain is too much.  He said IF I follow the diet I might make it to 36-37 weeks pregnant, he doesn't think I can last longer.  The surgery will be too large incisions, a high one to remove gallbladder and then a low one to do a c-section.  If by some miracle I can wait, I'm still allowed to have a natural birth and deal with the gallbladder later, but he doesn't think that will happen.

I am on a fat free diet.  I can't even eat 99.9% fat free, it has to be 100%.  Any amount of fat will trigger an attack and likely cause emergency surgery.  So I can't cook rice with a drop of oil, or saute veggies in a tiny bit of butter, or anything.  I spent awhile at the store checking lables, almost every packaged food has fat!  The surgeon's nurse said most people live on fruit.  I can have white meat chicken if I remove the fat before cooking, and cook it on a raised surface (grill or roasting pan) so fat can drip off.  Oh, and after an hour at the store, I did discover Frosted Flakes cereal is fat free, so at least I get one treat.

Wish me luck dealing with the pain and following this diet.  It's going to be no fun, but I do not want a 2 month premature baby.  At this point, I feel like every day I make it is one more day for his lungs to grow.

Oh, and I have to be careful with the Percocet.  It causes the baby to have withdrawal at birth.  Withdrawal causes breathing problems.  And since preemie babies already have breathing problems, drug withdrawal would be too dangerous.  The surgeon wouldn't give me any other pain killers.  He'd rather I feel the pain, to know if it's getting worse and an infection is building.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 3:02pm
So sorry to hear this. I know of 36 weekers that come home right away though, so hopefully you can live on fruit for the next 5 weeks and be okay.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 3:10pm
Hi hon. I am so sorry you are going through this. :smileysad: my daughter was born three weeks early due to the severity of my pupps rash. My thoughts and prays are with you and Grayson.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 3:38pm

Thanks.  I see my midwife on Tuesday, I doubt she'll agree to inducing early, she's more of a 'one day at a time, lets see what happens' sort of person. 

Momma to:
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 8:05am
Thought of you last night when I saw that marshmallows are fat free!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 11:17am
This really sucks for you. The diet will be hard but manageable. I hope you can avoid some of the pain with diet and your LO can stay in as long as he can.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 6:34pm

aaahh! wow thats so crazy. im sorry you have to go through this. how scary and annoying. and i never knew about frosted flakes! weird!  im crossing my fingers for you and baby. about the percocet... is there anything else you can take? when i had kidney stones my last pregnancy, i was given darvocet. is that any better? 

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 6:46pm

That's lousy-you sure are going through alot this pregnancy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 10:30pm

Thanks for the support everyone.  Other pain killers are not an option - hiding the pain would also hide the signs of infection.  So far I've made it 100% fat free and have no pain anymore.  As long as I don't cheat on the diet, I can hopefully keep this baby in long enough!  And the pain was so bad that I can't imagine cheating on the diet, it's not worth it!

Momma to:
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 2:36pm
Ugh. At least this means your doc is taking your condition seriously. While trying to recover from an eating disorder, I realized there are tons of fat-free foods in the US, and you have great package labeling laws there. (They sometimes don't even list calories here!) Check out the frozen dinners and fat-free yogurts. I used to snack on fat-free cereal, too. I think all meat has fat to a certain extent, but I'm sure there must be a source of protein your doc can recommend. Maybe some broths? My family also used apple juice in the place of cooking oil, egg beaters in place of eggs. I'll be rooting for you two to hang in there. With all that you have going on with the fam, I'll bet time will fly by! *Hugs*

- JM