Labor and Delivery visit

iVillage Member
Labor and Delivery visit
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 6:55pm

I went to the ER last night for my gallbladder, and they admitted me into Labor and Delivery.  I wasn't in labor, they just said it was policy since I'm so pregnant.  I stayed there last night and left around 6pm today.  Had to do fetal monitoring the whole time, so I didn't get any sleep, but that's ok.  The doc on call was the OB that works with my midwife.  My midwife is out of town this week.  He was really helpful and let me have painkillers, so I'm really greatful.  They gave me pain meds hourly for my gall stones until the attack finally passed (it hurt over 41 hours straight this attack.)  Still won't give me any other drugs to take home, I just have to go back the next attack.  They ran bloodwork and urine and said there is no sign of infection.  The doc said he thinks digestion is effecting gallbladder, and suggested Zantac and Zofran and Tylenol during the next attack.  And if that doesn't work, I can go back to the hospital and get real drugs again.

They did an OB ultrasound.  2 techs did it, and neither could find baby's right kidney.  But I had a level II scan a few months ago, and kidneys were fine then, so I guess the baby was just moving too much to get a good view today.  Baby is estimated at 5 pounds 10 ounces at 35w1d.  He's breech.  Both legs are fully extended with his feet up at his head.  The OB said in about 2 weeks if baby hasn't flipped we'll either schedule a c-section or schedule a manual flip.  (They'll give me an epidural and attempt to physically flip him.)  They won't let me do a vaginal breech delivery.

Okay, that's my day.  Glad to finally not be hurting, but nervous about the baby still being breech.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 7:48pm
Omg, I am so sorry. :smileysad: You have been through soo much. How are u feeling now? I'm glad you are not hurting. Hoping they will be able to flip the baby when the time comes. I have heard it hurts like hell when they do, sorry. You and baby are in my prayers.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 8:57pm

Not that a c section is ideal,but I wonder if they would remove your gallbladder at the same time if you needed one??

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 9:05pm
have you tried any of those spinning baby moves? You just cannot catch a break!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 9:06pm

Thanks.  I'm feeling okay, just tired.  As for the baby flipping, it won't hurt because they do it with an epidural.  They do it in an operating room in case baby crashes, because the procedure can cause umbilical cord or placenta tearing.  I'm not sure I'd go through with it, a c-section sounds safer.  But hopefully this baby will flip on his own and it won't even matter.  Since he's only 5 1/2 pounds now, he's still got room to move.

Momma to:
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 9:08pm

They won't remove my gallbladder at the same time.  Either they do it first, with a large incision, than immediately do an emergency c-section.  Or they wait until a few weeks postpartem, and do it laproscopicly.  The second way has a much shorter healing time and less scaring.

I didn't try to spin the baby because my midwife poked my belly again and thought the baby had flipped after all.  But she was wrong, he's still breech, so I'll definitly be trying now.

Momma to:
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 9:29pm
Hoping baby flips on his own. Take it easy ((hugs))
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Community Leader
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 6:08am
Glad the attack finally passed and you had a better experience with the doctor than the a$$hole nurse you've been dealing with. I hope the baby flips on his own for you.

Last time I was at the doctor's office mine had gone from breech to transverse, and I guess we'll see at my appt. tomorrow if he's moved again. Hopefully so, and in the right direction. It's hard not to be nervous when you get up toward the end and they're still positioned incorrectly.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 6:27pm
What a pain in the butt. That was a long attack. Hopefully baby will turn on its own.
Photobucket