Hazel Maeve is here!

Community Leader
Hazel Maeve is here!
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 7:35pm

We are home now and we are all doing great. The short version of it is Hazel decided to arrive on Friday, September 14th at 7:23am. I was due 9/20. She was 6 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long. Contractions started Friday morning, we arrived at the hospital around 6:45am and she was born 38 minutes later. The longer version is below...

At my 39 week appt on Wednesday (9/12), I was 3 cm dilated and we scheduled a date for induction if LO didn't come on her own. I woke up Friday (9/14) morning (39w1d) sometime in the 3 o'clock hour with a contraction. It wasn't too bad and I was able to go back to sleep after it was over, so I did just that. Continued to wake up every 10 minutes or so with the contractions and go back to sleep in between them. At around 5am, the contractions started coming about 5 minutes apart and I couldn't really fall back to sleep in between them. So, at that time, I started actually timing them and around 5:40am my husband woke up and asked me if it was time. I told him I thought it might be and that I was just waiting for the "hour mark" to make sure they didn't slow down or stop. He decided to get up and get a shower while I waited. Once he was out of the shower, I went ahead and called the office (they said to call once my contractions were coming every 3-5 minutes for an hour). It was almost 6am at that time. I called and the midwife on duty said to come in to L&D. Since things were still tolerable and my water hadn't broken yet, I took a shower first while my husband got the boys up and ready.

I get out of the shower, and the contractions became a lot more intense. My oldest went to the neighbors (so he could go to school), our youngest was dropped off at my SIL's house, and we headed to the hospital. By the time we got to the hospital (about 6:45am), the contractions were coming much closer together (about every 2 minutes), they were very intense, and I was feeling a lot of pressure. We get into L&D, they immediately get me hooked up to the monitors and the midwife checks my cervix. I'm at an 8, 100% effaced, and the baby's head was right there. At that point, it was too late for an epidural, but they said they could start an IV and give me some IV pain meds to help with the pain. Unfortunately, that never happened because things were moving to fast and Hazel's heart rate started dropping. At this point, I was almost complete, there was just a little bit of cervix left in the way. They started the IV, gave me some fluids, and gave me some medicine to slow down the contractions until I was ready to push. The doctor helped get the last little bit of my cervix out of the way and I started pushing shortly after. A few pushes later, Hazel was born (at 7:23am). We had only been at the hospital for 38 minutes.

We found out the next day that Hazel's collar bone got broken during the delivery. It's not displaced and she has not been guarding it, so they aren't overly concerned with it. We just have to be careful with that side for a few weeks while it heals. She is doing great now. She eats like a champ and is already up to eating 1.5 - 2 ounces at each feeding and eating about every 3-4 hours.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 9:49pm

Welcome Hazel! Wow..You have QUICK labors and birth like me!!! LOL. Keeps the hospital staff on their toes!

So Sorry that poor Hazel has a broken collarbone..That poor baby! Sounds like she is tolerating it though.....I hope she heals fast! Congrats on your beautiful baby girl...CANT wait to see pictures!!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 5:08am
Congratulations! Sounds like she was in a hurry, whew!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 9:01am
Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby girl! Welcome to the world, Hazel.

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 10:09am

Wow, talk about a quick arrival!  Congrats on your little princess and wishing her a speedy recovery.  :smileyhappy:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 6:26pm
Congrats! Hope she heals fast.
Photobucket