Post-partem depression?

iVillage Member
Post-partem depression?
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 11:58am

Baby Blues? Normal Hormones?  I am SO sad today.  My c-section was almost two weeks ago, and my little guy is perfect.  In fact I only seem to be content the past two days if I'm holding him or taking care of him.  I feel like I'm doing everything else wrong and I don't even want to LOOK at my husband.  I have yet to figure out if that is because I feel like I'm letting him down or because I irrationally just do NOT like him right now?  I hurt everywhere, and I have been going non-stop since I was released from the hospital.  I have had ZERO rest even though Quinn sleeps wonderfully.  I just want a few days off and it seems every time I say I'm staying home I'm given a guilt trip. (We run our own coffee shop) I just feel like I am not healing and I am not doing what is best for me and my baby.  So I finally blow up at him and now he won't come near me...of course I did tell him I didn't want to look at him, but I didn't mean it, duh.  GRRRR!! So frustrated, don't know what to do and feeling like a monster :smileysad:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 2:14am
((Hugs)) It sounds like you majorly need a break. I would also recommend talking again with dh about how you're feeling and what he can do to help. No guarantee, but the more you fill him in on what you want and need, the more likely it will happen! And if you still feel like this in a few days, consider calling your Dr. Hope you are already coping better! Being mommy to a newborn is seriously very hard both physically and emotionally.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 12:35pm

LOL..Jennifer! There were TWO nights when I was up with DS, and Hubby was snoring SO LOUD...That I LOUDLY said...Are you FU**ing Kidding me right now!!!"... and he did not even Stir! I was ready to push him outta bed!

Andrea....You have to find some time to de-compose. I know, you have a NB, and the other kids who need you too...and DH, AND a business.

Tough titties though.....stay home a few days, and while the kids are sleeping...and quinn is sleeping....Take a bubble bath and a NAP!! Have some time for JUST yourself, and Quinn.

Do it....I said So.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 2:12pm

First off, hugs.  You just had major surgery.  And if you're anything like me, you don't like having to depend on others, but your body is catching up with it all.  He may not realize that while the bedrest was necessary while you were pregnant, you still need to rest to get back on your feet.  My dh took the week off right after I was released from the hospital.  I pushed to get out in only two days.  And I was doing way more than I should have been right from the start due to feeling so good.  Dh immediately took that to mean I was fine on my own and worked to catch up on all of the things he was needing to do.  I became resentful and angry.  As someone else mentioned, it may need to be discussed again (calmly in a non-confrontational way) that you may have been sending the wrong signals, but you need to slow down.  Tomorrow marks 3 weeks pp for me and other than my bleeding picking up when I lift too much or push myself too hard, I do still feel great.  Your body will let tell you your limitations.  Listen to it. 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 9:59pm
I hope for you it's just being tired and hormones... and it sounds that way. Exhaustion will do crazy things to us. That said - my PPD was entirely focused on hating DH (for no really good reason). I didn't know that's what it was for the longest time. We had 4 months of hell and are actually scheduling an appt with therapist to PREVENT that this time.
All that to say... rest, stick up for you, and keep an eye on how you're feeling in the next week or two.
Photobucket