Sooo scared of tearing and stitches...

iVillage Member
Sooo scared of tearing and stitches...
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 12:38am
:smileysad:((( Sometimes I think if most of the women can tolerate that pain and discomfort afterwards, so can I. But still I'm so scared of labor because of tearing down there....I can't imagine hving stitches there, its so scary to even think abt tht....
Mehvish

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 9:12am
With my ODS it was worse than this time around. I used the ice packs and dermaplast and it helped a lot. But it really wasn't as bad as I was imagining, definitely uncomfortable but not really painful.

Are you doing the perineal stretching?
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 9:26am

It's not as bad as you are imagining I promise.  It's more itchy as it heals than anything.  Other than that it was just weird feeling because it was foreign and not usually there.  Use the dermaplast and the bottle they give you for washing that area and you will forget about it in no time.  (((hugs))) good luck!  Maybe you won't tear?  And one word of advice  if they think you will tear and want to cut you to prevent it my advice is let them.  Others may vary on this but I would rather have a straight easily stitchable cut than a jagged rip.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 9:33am
Thnx girls, I hvnt really done any perineal stretching yet...I guess I'm too late for it now? During the prenatal classes, I almost fainted during the tearing topic,...u r right I might not even tear but then tht's just wishful thinking since I know most of girls do...but ur words hve surely made me feel better...
Mehvish
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 9:35am
I think anything is better than nothing.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 11:59am

IF you tear...or IF they do an episiotomy..I almost BET you won;t even realize it, or feel it! With DD..they had to cut me from hoo-hoo to rectum because she was in distress and they needed her out PRONTO....The stitches were uncomforatble and itchy when healing....and the ice packs AND dermablast helped!!

With DS a month ago...I tore...and did not feel it, or the stitches going in. They are uncomfortable...but not painful! This time though....the tear was on my labia......odd place, but OK......LOL

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 12:24pm
I had an epi and didn't feel the tear at all. Just the uncomfortable-ness afterward. Mine is fairly large.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 12:42pm

Awww, don't psych yourself out, you'll be okay. I went natural and had a first degree tear--didn't feel a thing. My midwife had to tell me about it. Honestly, when you're pushing the baby out you're so involved in the moment and what you have to do that it's unlikely you'll notice if you tear.

As for the stitches, I won't lie, it is a little weird to have stitches "down there." Mine didn't/don't really itch or anything, it's just weird to know they are there. Definitely use the squirt bottle they give you when you pee. In fact, try to get TWO bottles. Use one while you are peeing to dilute your urine and reduce the sting, use the second to clean up afterwards. Also, maybe TMI but I found using some vaginal lubrication (like Astroglide or KY Silky) to keep things moist really helps.

In short, don't worry. Whatever happens you will be fine and when you hold that beautiful baby in your arms it will all be worth it.

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 2:27pm
Well I ended up with a c-sec so I can't speak to an epi or tear specifically, but I can tell you that recovery from the c-sec has been way more comfortable than it was being 41 weeks pregnant! And they say recovery from a vaginal delivery is even easier. So don't worry, soon you will be feeling much better physically and you'll have your baby in your arms!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 3:38pm

I had an episiotomy and tore on top of that with my first.  In all honesty, by the point I got to all of that, I was so swollen from pushing, I didn't feel much of anything.  He did one continuous stitch in the repair, so I don't recall having itching either.  The stitches just dissolved on their own.  Hugs and try not to worry.  Most dr's can do the massage while you're in labor to help expand things.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 12:35pm
I am lurking from the October board and I tore really bad with DD1. My only advice would be to make sure to take a stool softener. No one told me about that and I felt like I was ripping in two for a week. It was terrible. So learn from me! :smileyhappy: Stool softener! With DD2 I only needed two stitches and it wasn't bad at all. Like the other ladies said, it was more itchy as it healed. Don't worry. You will be fine. Lots of water and softeners if you do need more than a few stitches :smileywink: GL

Pages