Wanted to share my favorite purchases...

iVillage Member
Wanted to share my favorite purchases...
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 3:03pm

So with every baby we buy things, are given things and are bought tons of new "you gotta have this" items.  Which ones have you really used and now can't live without?  Here are a few of mine...

Milkies- It's a silicone bra insert that a nursing mother places over the non- nursing breast.  It catches all the drips and leaks and you can then store your milk just like with a pump.  Quinn's milk has been in for 3 days and I have collected enough milk just from using the milky to freeze 2 full bottles.  AND you change less bra pads lol! I really think this is the best invention EVER and it is SO comfortable!

Aiden and Anais swaddler:   SO worth the money!  They are huge and foldable, breathable and SOFT!  Love it!  It stays swaddled so much better than a receiving blanket.

Lansinoh Soothing gel pads:  Exactly as they sound, they are at this moment my lifesaver as my little guy has way too much sucking power for his own good and my nipples had looked and felt as though they had been in a bloody battle.  A day and a half of using them I am back in the game!!

Rock-and-play sleeper/bassinette:  My little guy sleeps at least 6 hours at night in this!

Moby-wrap:  Haven't used it yet with this baby but I know I will!

Anyone else have a favorite or a lifesaver?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 10:54am

I purchased 10 pair of washable breast pads this time around, and love them.  I simply swap out a pair and throw them in the wash.  They don't bunch up like the disposables.

Sadly, that was my only purchase, lol.  Still waiting for my addition to be completed so I can move baby gear back into the house.  So for now, it's sticking with the basics that don't take up a lot of room.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 12:09pm

I LIVE for my Aiden and anais Swaddlers! Jack has 2 in the cow pattern, and two with red Stars on them.... I ordered them when I was 20 weeks along KNOWING I HAD to have them again! (DD's were too pink and girly for him!)

I WISH I needed milkies....I did use them for the first 2 weeks.

I also WISH Jack would sleep six hours.... he has reflux, needs to eat more often... and generally a very fussy little man.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-15-2012 - 10:10pm
So we're only on day 2... but... I went and bought the gel soothies today. No cracks/bleeding but OMG does it take my breath away when he latches and they're pretty sore.
I love my Aiden and Anias blankets - I splurged and bought the boutique print ones. LOVE them.
I use the miracle blanket at night and still love it as much as with DD.

The bassinet didn't work so great for LO last night so I'll be trying him out in the swing tonight. He's a great sleeper, but the bassinet is just to flat and open for him at this stage I think.

Oh and I love my noodle and boo lotion. I use it on me for now, but did put a smidge on his legs today. It's a splurge too that I never did with DD - just used samples here and there and this time I bought it.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 2:48pm

I had the same problem with our bassinet, but we were able to prop it up with towels as it's a basket within a stand.  As far as the size, I swaddle her in a receiving blanket and then tuck her in with another blanket over that (I'm in Maine and nights are cold).  Works like a charm.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 10:14pm

I have the Aden and anais blankets in zoo animal patterns, they're great. But Melody has been basically living in her halo swaddler, so that's definitely one of my favorites.

I also love the Avent Ultra Comfoable Breast Shells. They have a hole for your nipple on the back and vents on the front, I got them to hold my bra or shirt away from my nipple right after feeding, when I have lanolin on. But they double as breast milk collection, just like the milkie. They are smaller than the Millie (I have one of those too) but plenty big enough for me, I only get a few drops each time. Plus you get two in a box and I think they're cheaper (?)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 7:58pm
I propped with a towel and it helps! He won't start the night in there, but will go in there after the middle of the night feeding. I think he just likes how the swing hugs him - it's papasan shaped. :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 11:12am

Glad to hear it helped!  Smart boy, I love papasan chairs, lol.  :smileywink:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 3:54pm

Becca, if you have the extra funds (and who does with a newborn around right?  *SIGH) but I have a rock-and-play sleeper that hugs and props and has been amazing.  I was telling my doctor about it and he said every new mom he has talked to that has one says the same thing.  My little guys sleeps a 7 hour stretch at night and he's a breast feeder :smileyhappy: LOVE it

Photobucket