Bloomberg's Breastfeeding Program

iVillage Member
Bloomberg's Breastfeeding Program
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 11:02am

Starting in September, Mayor Bloomberg's push to encourage breastfeeding will incorporate a new program urging hospitals to keep baby formula under lockdown.

The latest installment of the city's "Latch On NYC" initiative will require new mothers seeking baby formula in the hospital to sign the formula out like medication.

The New York Post reports new mothers will not be denied formula, but if requested, they'll receive a mandated talk from staffers and nurses on why they should opt out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/30/bloombergs-breast-feeding-latch-on-nyc-hospitals-hide-baby-formula_n_1718664.html?utm_hp_ref=new-york

Interesting!  How do you feel about this? 

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 2:04pm

Personally, I think it's ridiculous.  While I disagreed with hospital policies when my first two were born of supplementing formula regardless if the mother wished to breastfeed, it should be the mother's choice.  Period.  Not all mother's are able to breastfeed.  I'm one of the fortunate ones that went 13 months with ds and didn't buy a lick of formula.  It did not come so easily with my oldest two girls.  But treating formula like a medication is ridiculous.  Every mother wants what's best for her child.  Formula allows mother's to do just that that are unable to produce milk or have other issues stopping them from bf'ing.  No politcian has the right to make that choice for anyone.

Photobucket