Co-sleeping

iVillage Member
Co-sleeping
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 12:10pm

Since this was touched upon up top, I figured I'd get a thread started.

Do you plan on co-sleeping?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: compyquin
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 12:27pm

I've done both.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2012 - 10:05am

We will keep baby in our room in a pack n play bassinet for the first few months. I don't sleep with my babies until they are old enough to kick me if I'm on them - lol! It is just way too risky for me, plus I can't sleep when they're in the bed with me.

Siggy 05-24-10

Thank you Tan
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-19-2012 - 4:20pm
Baby will sleep in a bassinet next to my side of the bed. This is the same thing we did with DD. Once baby is sleeping through the night baby will move to his/her room and crib. I am a rock solid sleeper. DH sleeps even harder. I wake up to crying, but that's it. DH can sleep through very loud crying. So yeah... not safe for the bed. I did nap with DD sometimes and once I woke up with my forearm on her forehead. It scared me to death. I just cried and cried. My arm could have been over her nose/mouth. It still chills me to the bones. Bassinet it is!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-19-2012 - 6:14pm

I can't cosleep because I roll around way too much and I am scared of rolling over on the baby..My daughter is just 5 months old and still in her basinet in my room because she has to eat every 2 hrs and has other health problems so Im afraid of putting her in a room by herself(I know monitors don't fail regularly but its an irrational fear of mine) and I planned to keep her there until she was 2..but now with a new baby on the way I'll have to rethink that arrangement..

BabyFruit Ticker
Community Leader
Mon, 02-20-2012 - 8:57pm
We will have the baby in his/her crib in our room for the first few months and then he/she will move into the room with our youngest (he'll be about 16 months older than this one).
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 10:46am

This is our first child so I'm kind of unsure about how everything will go. Co-sleeping does appeal to me, both because I think it will be easier to not have to be up and about for night feedings and it also seems like we are more likely to end up with a happier, calmer baby if we are accessible.

On the other hand, I also feel like it might be easier for me and my husband to sleep well without having baby in our bed. Also, my best friend is a pediatrician and my brother is an ER doctor and they both consider co-sleeping to be very dangerous and have both seen babies who have most likely died of suffocation while sleeping with a parent or in a non-baby-safe bed. So that is scary.

I am considering the co-sleepers that are basically an adjustable-height pack n play where one side can be lowered and it will attach to the bed. I think that is a fair compromise, although my best friend & brother both mentioned that you may/probably would fall asleep while nursing sometimes and fail to push the baby back into his/her safe sleeping spot. Also I'm wondering about this whole, staying-in-bed-when-baby-wakes thing anyway because you'd still have to change him/her, and that involves sitting up, getting organized, probably having a light on, and all that.

The other thing we're considering is getting a regular bassinet or regular pack n play with bassinet next to our bed for the baby to sleep in. I think that's what we're leaning towards right now. I definitely want to have the baby in the room with us for the early months, from everything I've heard that will just make life easier for all of us.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 2:20pm

This is baby #7 for us and I just CAN'T co-sleep.

Rachel

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 10:40pm
Another reason we don't co-sleep is because I feel sooo bad for my friends and for their kids when it's time for them to move to their own room. Whether it's 2 or 4, unless you plan on keeping them in your room until they wean themselves from sleeping with you it's just a heartbreaking and very tiresome experience. We've never had that problem. DD just knows she can't sleep with us.

But I do understand the practical sides and the closeness. They're so cute and loving you just want to snuggle them and have them right there all night! But, again, it wouldn't be safe for us.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 7:41am

Until we transitioned ds to his crib, we actually slept with a small lamp on.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 7:45am

When my oldest dd was 2, her Dad deployed.

Photobucket

Pages