iVillage Member
Homebirth or Hospital Birth?
Wed, 01-11-2012 - 5:07pm

Which one will you be having and why?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-11-2012 - 5:29pm
I've had 6 hospital births. 1 c/s and 5 VBACs. This time we are hoping to use a birthing center. I'd love to just have a baby outside a hospital and all the medical intervention with a more personalized prenatal and birthing experience.

Rachel

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-11-2012 - 7:07pm

I would like to birth at home with the assistance of a CNM if possible.... but I'm not sure what we will do.

Community Leader
Wed, 01-11-2012 - 10:22pm
I believe every situation is different. That being said, we will be having a hospital birth. I've had complications with both of my previous pregnancies and don't want to risk it by not being in the hospital.

With my first son, I was induced at 36 weeks for preeclampsia. I had went in for my routine OB appointment and my blood pressure was high. They rechecked it after the appointment and it was even higher. I was then sent to be observed for a few hours and during that time, my blood pressure continued to rise, as I was sleeping. Because of the risk of stroke or heart attack with the high blood pressure, it reached a point that I needed to be induced. So the pitocin was started (around lunch time) and my son was born at 3:39am the following morning. His umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck twice.

With my second son, they found that I had low amniotic fluid during an ultrasound at 35 weeks. They were doing the ultrasound to determine positioning because he had been breech. I had to go for AFIs and NST twice a week. That only lasted a week though as my amniotic fluid dropped to none. They did a growth scan and estimated my son to be 14 lbs 12 ounces. This was at 36 weeks 4 days. So, induction it was. Because my son was not in any distress, they said we could try for a vaginal birth. We started with cytotec, then moved on to pitocin. The cytotec was started around 2 or 3 in the afternoon and he was born at 9:02 the following morning. He was 4 lbs 14 ounces, 17 inches long. He spent 3 days in the NICU, the first day on a Bipap, IV fluids, and with a tube going in his nose to his belly. After his 3 days in the NICU, he had one more day in the mother/baby unit, and then we got to bring him home.

So, because of those things, I feel that a hospital birth is best for me.
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-13-2012 - 12:44am
wow... they told you 14lbs! that is insane! I'm glad you got to bring him home so soon after he ended up being so tiny! Lets hope this time you have the PERFECT birth!
Community Leader
Fri, 01-13-2012 - 9:12pm

Oops, that was supposed to say 4lbs 12 oz. 14 lbs

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-14-2012 - 12:14pm

lol just read your story and it scared me. I was like wow! a ten pound difference is a big deal! lol glad u had a healthy baby!

Photobucket THANKS TO Bab
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-14-2012 - 10:24pm

Like others, I feel this is completely up to the individual. In my case, I will birth in a hospital. With my previous pregnancy, I was induced the week of my due date because I was about to develop pre-e. My blood pressure had risen a full 20+ points on top and 10 on bottom for the last two weeks. A urinalysis found protein, so I was a smoking bomb. I was induced and labored for 22 hours. My

Siggy 05-24-10

Thank you Tan
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-15-2012 - 12:59pm
how scary! I'm glad everything turned out ok! hemorage can be very scary and I'm not at all saying that your reasons for having a hospital birth are wrong but incase you ever want to consider it in the future most midwives who do home births bring pitocin along (it helps to continue the clamping that the uterus does in labor) to help women that might hemorhage after delivering.
I am glad you had such a supportive team in your labor!
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-16-2012 - 11:04pm

I didn't mean to scare people - that's just my birth experience. I was on pitocin when the hemorrhage happened. The doctor gave me a different med (cytotec) to contract my uterus. I'm not sure if the pitocin wasn't working because I had been on it for so long, or if I needed something to work faster, or what. He kept me on both cytotec and pitocin for 2 days, and sent me home with cytotec to take for several more days.

Jennifer

Siggy 05-24-10

Thank you Tan
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 3:00am
hmmm, good point, I wonder if the pit wasn't enough because you had already been on it. Glad the cytotec worked for you, it has very mixed reviews and I'll never be allowed to (or want to) use it since I've had a c-section... but I'm so glad that it worked to stop your hemorrhage!

Pages