Baby Carrier Recommendations?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Baby Carrier Recommendations?
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 12:33am

Has anyone used a carrier/wrap/sling before and loved it? I hear mixed reviews about the Moby. Some people love it, some don't. I'm also considering the Maya wrap. We had a used Snugli with DS, but we didn't use it much. A friend of mine had a Baby Bjorn and loved it. Advice?

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 7:17am

This is my fourth, so I've used several different types.  Baby Bjorn with my oldest -- hated.  We rarely used it.

Ringed sling with my 2nd.  I liked it better and used it more, but the rings didn't stay tight and that drove me crazy.

Used a Slingling with my 3rd.  LOVED it.  I liked having no rings, how it small enough to keep with me and just toss on and we used it for 2 years!

This time I'm going to get the Slingling back out AND try a Moby (or a homemade knock-off).  I borrowed a Moby once and liked it for the tiny baby -- it just has a definite learning curve.  If you're thinking of trying a wrap, I'd recommend googling how to make a homemade one.  It's no-sew and cheap...then you can see if you like it!

Kelly Mom to: DD 10/00 DS 7/05 DD 10/08 Angel 10/11 #4 EDD - late Sept
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 6:02pm

Finally just made my "Moby" yesterday, after buying the fabric back in April! :smileyhappy: I made the kind with the cotton panel so there was a little sewing, but not much. For a no sew version just get a long piece of Jersey knit fabric, cotton or a cotton blend, about 20 inches wide and 5.5 to 6 yards long. And that's it! The edges won't unravel cause its a knit (they do roll in). I got my fabric online for 4.25/yd and it was wide enough to make 3 wraps. I'll give the other two away.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 9:04pm
The bjorn type are NOT recommended. They call them crotch danglers. They're bad for the baby's hips and also for your own back/shoulder support. That said, we have one from DD and will still use it on occasion if we need to. DD liked it. I got a Moby for $15 on craigslist and then saw one for $10. I have a hotsling too that I like a lot. DD liked it once I could put her on my hip, but not before. I love these things for they tiny ones.... keeps other people from touching baby.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 9:31am

They say you can use the Moby for a newborn. You can watch videos on their website or on youtube. They tell you how to make sure the baby is breathing safely while in the wrap. They give you different holds/ways of carrying baby based on the baby's age & size. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 9:55pm

I would stay away from the Bjorn. Like Becca said, they aren't good for you or baby. I have an Ergo with the infant "Heart2Heart" insert that I used when DD was a newborn, and then the Ergo by itself when she was bigger. I really love it. It's fairly versatile, easy to put on, washable, etc. I can't see myself fumbling with ties and rings, but that's a personal preference. Being able to buckle and go is huge for me. Also, DD is 2 now and I still use the Ergo with her so even though it's expensive I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of it for sure.

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 1:25pm

I've used just about every type of carrier along the way and from my experience the Moby is the best.  It is my one must have in every pregnancy.  And the most comfortable for me.  Hope you find one you like!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 11:31pm
sorry - just saw this. I plan on using it really early... maybe 2 weeks? I don't know if I mentioned this before but the sleepy wrap (now I think it's a boba?) is favored a smidge more than the moby - same concept, less material.
I've been looking at youtube videos for how to nurse in it...
Photobucket