Shallow latch?

iVillage Member
Shallow latch?
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 4:06am

Needing some tips on correcting a shallow latch. I've tried pulling him off and starting over, but then he just gets more frustrated. I'm guiding him, sitting supported, etc he just slides down to the lower part of my nipple automatically. 

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 11:10am

Jack had a shallow latch...after 2 weeks of working with the consultant..they determined his pallet was too shallow to grasp my big ass boobs! We even had to get special nipples...because standard bottles were too tough for him.

I had this issue with DD too....Have you tried "folding your nipples? Basically Push IN the nipple....Then kind of fold the areolas into the nipple like a taco...then Push your boob into his open mouth as much as possible then rlease the taco....sometimes this allows them to grasp better. Hard to explain....play with it!

I had to pump, pump,pump and bottle feed Jack...But I am pretty sure you will get this down with some practice!!!

Good luck!

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 2:58pm
Thanks so much!!

I have a shield and it works sometimes, but sometimes he refuses to latch with it on thinking it's a paci.

I googled the laid back positions last night, and that helped. I'm just going to keep trying new ways.
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 7:34am

I had this issue too especially around day 5 - engorgement. My boobs were too big and not soft enough for her mouth. Similar to one of the tips in the last post, I got a manual pump and pumped for 30 secs or a minute before putting her on. It helped soften my breast a little and got the nipple to really protrude more so she could get a better grasp.

Otherwise I mainly try to just stuff as much boob in there as I can... It's definitely better we're about 90% pain free now.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 11:19am
I forgot to mention, with Melody the issue is with her bottom jaw/lip, so after she lat he's on I use my thumb to roll her bottom lip out... this helps a little.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 6:10pm

I had my baby 15 days ago and he still has problems breast feeding but the main issue is he is sleepy. It is hard to wake him up and keep him up on the breast. I had him at 36w2d. DH went back to work on Monday so I have been trying to manage myself. It was his job to keep him awake by using a cold paper towel on his body while I held him and my boob. I tried the nipple shield and it did work with help. I decided to go without it because it was a pain doing it myself. He is doing better and usually likes to latch to my right breast. I am not sure if I don't have the hold right on the left but he doesn't latch that well on that one.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 8:12pm
If you figure it out let me know! Matthew will literally push the excess boob out of his mouth then chomp down on my nip. Hurts like a sonofagun! He does NOT want the extra in his mouth. I actually bought new pacis today - I'm hoping that if I can get him to use a paci and get used to the feeling of the nip in the back of his mouth he'll accept mine better.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 8:42pm
That's definitely not a problem here. He's very concerned about eating often and gets upset if not allowed to eat the moment he's hungry.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 8:43pm
Sometimes that works here, but usually that makes him pull off and take in even less.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 9:15am
Becca, I've got the same bloody (literally) issue. On top of it, she's an impatient latcher but takes her time feeding. *sigh* The nipple guard didn't help even though it made her work harder and lose weight trying. :-/

- JM