38 week appt

iVillage Member
38 week appt
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 8:12pm

Well, had my 38 week appt today. I met the Dr who will deliver our baby if I go into labor any time before the due date. She was nice. Unfortunately the exam showed I am still high, tight, and almost completely closed... she said maybe a fingertip dialated and she doubts I will go into labor this week. More waiting!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
In reply to: ais1inn
Wed, 08-22-2012 - 10:11am

I have thought about it, we'll see how long I hold out. I am trying to tell myself to relax and enjoy this time without the baby, and that if the baby's still in there there's a good reason for it ... but I'm getting impatient! I might try it. It also seems like it would be better to go into labor already mostly effaced and somewhat dialated, you know? Like, there will be that much less work for my body to do during labor? But maybe it doesn't matter.

Also, I swear this baby is still moving up and down. Some days I can definitely feel the head very low, I have to pee every time I get up, and I get those lightning bolt shocks every time I move. One day baby was on my sciatic nerve most of the day and it was excruciating. When the baby is low like that I also get BH contractions and sometimes period-like cramps. Other times though I think the baby has moved back up and I don't feel any of those symptoms and won't get contractions for days. What gives? I thought once the baby moved down they were supposed to stay down. Come on baby! The Dr last night also commented that the cervix was still "very high!" (as she tried to cram her whole hand in there, aah!! :smileyhappy:

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
In reply to: ais1inn
Wed, 08-22-2012 - 12:53pm

Hang in there Mama.  Not much longer now.  Once she does decide to engage, it may not take long for your body to gear up for labor.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: beccar04
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 12:01am
Sounds like me - I'll be 38 weeks Saturday. The nurse did my exam today and said I was very soft, but only a fingertip dilated. She said the head was blaudible (sp???) which means she could bounce it off my cervix - so weird... so I guess not engaged, which sounds right. He still moves quite a bit. Just hanging in there and trying to enjoy the last few days of our little 3 person family before he makes his appearance. I know he can't stay in there forever!
Photobucket