39 week appointment

iVillage Member
39 week appointment
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 6:04pm

I had my 39 week appointment this afternoon. The NST came back good. The doctor asked how I had been feeling, and I have been feeling some contractions off and on this week but not that much. Mainly though the baby has gotten lower and is getting REALLY uncomfortable. I feel ok sitting down, but when I walk my pelvis really feels sore and it hurts to move around. It varies from sometimes just feeling uncomfortable to other times outright hurting to walk. 

She checked my cervix and found that the baby has dropped "some" but is still not super low. I was surprised to hear that -- how would I be feeling if the baby were any lower?! I have not dialted any since last week, still at a fingertip, just under 1cm. But my cervix is softer than last week and 30% effaced which is an improvement too.

We also talked about my doctor situation. "My" doctor is on a 3-week trip to South America, so she set me up with the Dr I saw today (saw her last week too). But the back-up doctor will also be gone next week, so she needed to find me another doctor, and especially since I've been uncomfortable she wanted to find someone to talk to about possible inductions, rather than letting me just ride along until my next appointment with "my" dr on Sept 10, more than a week past my due date. So the dr she wanted me to see has his office hours Mondays and Thursdays...but Monday is a holiday so the office won't be closed... so it would mean going 10 days. But he is going to be the on call doc at the hospital this weekend. And add to that, my blood pressure was up some and my discomfort, and we got around to having her schedule me for an induction to start on Saturday night with Cytotec to ripen the cervix followed by pitocin on Sunday morning (if necessary) and planning to deliver the baby during the day on Sunday -- the due date.

So I am going to have the baby within the next week! I'm excited about that but also feel kind of like, should I have agreed to the induction which seems to be more for scheduling reasons than for medical reasons? But it's on my due date so it's not like I've agreed to do an induction at week 37 or anything...and it wasn't even my idea, it was the doctors, and I trust that they know what they're doing.... I am a little worried that if things go wrong or I end up with a c-sec I might regret agreeing to the induction. But mostly I am just excited because I really want to have the baby already, and you can't ask for a more convenient time in terms of scheduling than a 3-day weekend. So I guess this baby still has about 4 days to choose its own birthday and otherwise I'll have the baby right on time on Sept 2!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 1:02pm

We'll see if you make it past the blue moon.  :smileywink:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 4:24pm

Thanks ladies! I'm excited! I kind of hope I don't make it past the blue moon on Friday, I still think it would kind of be neat in a way to go into labor on my own. On the other hand it makes SUCH a difference knowing there is an end date, I have really been much happier and more relaxed and optimistic. I didn't realize I was in such a bad head space waiting for baby to get here! 

Also, now that we have a date set, I of course came up with like 100 other things that I want to get done -- laundry, grocery shopping, clean the bathroom, cook some food so there are leftovers in the fridge when we get home from the hospital, clean the fish tank, haha, everything! Then we're planning to go out for one last dinner out before we head to the hospital for the induction Saturday evening. We'll see if doing all these chores puts me into labor! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers