Gender Reveal Parties- Yay or Nay?

iVillage Member
Gender Reveal Parties- Yay or Nay?
Tue, 02-12-2013 - 8:25am

Forget finding out the sex of your baby from the ultrasound tech or in the delivery room. Today, parents-to-be are opting for a truly sweet way of discovering whether they're having a boy or girl -- a gender-revealing baby cake!

That's right, many expectant moms and dads are now learning their baby's sex from the local baker. Here's how it works: The doctor keeps quiet about the baby's gender, writes down the top-secret info on a piece of paper and places it in a sealed envelope. Parents-to-be then deliver the envelope to a baker, who creates a cake that gives nothing away on the outside, but once you cut into it -- oh, the suspense! -- a shock of blue or pink filling appears.

http://www.ivillage.com/trend-alert-baby-gender-reveal-parties/6-a-354395

How do you feel about the gender reveal party trend?  Will you be hosting a gender reveal party?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2013 - 2:51pm

Eh, I don't know.  I guess I don't know that I'd be really excited to attend one, so I don't know that I'd throw one.  I totally get that the mom and dad are excited and want to share it with everyone, but a party is a bit much to me?  Maybe a smaller dinner with close family would be fun?

~ Ashley ~

~ Expecting Our First in SEPTEMBER! ~

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2013 - 9:32pm
With this being my fourth baby, I think a Gender Reveal party is a fabulous idea. Since it has been so many years since my last pregnancy, and I gave away all of my baby gear my mother wants to have a baby shower for me. I think that having a gender reveal party is more fitting in my case. Then if people would like to get a gift they can and I won't feel as if I am taking advantage.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 10:30am
It sounds kinda overboard to me. Definitely not something I'd do. I can see having the doctor write it down and revealing it privately as a family with the parents and siblings. But a cake and party just seems crazy.

photo A73865AB-81BE-4F2D-8462-BB7CE8598832-15533-00000BB39B1CA420_zps361fae1d.jpg