Need some advice about sharing the news

iVillage Member
Need some advice about sharing the news
Mon, 01-28-2013 - 2:28pm

My best friend has been trying for years to have a child.  They have experienced 3 losses so far. :(  Now that I'm pregnant with my first, I'm not sure how to tell her.  I know she'll be happy for me, but I want to be sensitive.  Anyone have any advice on how I could/should tell her? 

~ Ashley ~

~ Expecting Our First in SEPTEMBER! ~

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-28-2013 - 6:35pm
My best friend had been trying for years with no luck when I became pregnant with my first. I think she was the last person I told because I was afraid of hurting her feelings. She had called me one day just to chit chat and I think I just said that I am pregnant. She was so happy. I have had 3 losses myself and I know it was hard to hear when my friends would tell me they were pregnant. To be completely honest now matter how gently you tell her it's probably going to sting a bit. Sorry that was kinda all over the place.
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-31-2013 - 12:23pm
Thanks for sharing. I think you are probably right- it will sting no matter what. However, I don't want to wait much longer. We share everything and I think she'd be more hurt if I didn't involve her with this as well. I'll have to think of a way to be as sensitive as possible.

~ Ashley ~

~ Expecting Our First in SEPTEMBER! ~

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-01-2013 - 7:31am
The next person that was pregnant after my still born probably thought the same thing. They told me first. She just said I just wanted you to know I am pregnant and I wanted you to be the first so you didn't hear it through the grape vine. I will be announcing it next week. It gave me time to prepare myself and I was very happy for her. I think that would be the best way to handle it.