Alaska 2012 - Day 6 Skagway

iVillage Member
Alaska 2012 - Day 6 Skagway
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 10:34am

Another early day. :smileyhappy:

We got up and Azura was showing as having an early breakfast buffet today, opened even before Cagney's. So we headed down there and got a light breakfast. Then we were off the ship.

We loaded up on a bus, which took us to a ferry to head over to Haines. Photobucket

Was a very pretty ride. We did see a whale, but it was too far away to get a picture. Once on the bus Madison started to ask questions, so I told her we were going up a mountain today. Photobucket

I then told her it was a steep mountain, kind of like in Seattle, and we were hiking it. .

Photobucket

Makayla is having way too much fun with this, as she knows how we are getting up the mountain Photobucket

We get off the bus to find a whole lot of 4 x 4 mulekarts waiting for us!   Now both girls are excited. Photobucket

We line up, and head up the mountain together. Photobucket

It was a very pretty ride up. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

There was one spot where the mulekart in front of ours started to slide backwards toward us. John stopped and talked the man through getting the wheels locked and moving upward. I have to admit, that made my heart skip a beat. . .but they got it going.

About 1/2 way up the mountain we stop at a lodge for fresh, out of the oven cookies & hot beverages. The passenger (wife) of the mulekart that was sliding down the mountain came over and shook John's hand. Seems my heart wasn't the only one that skipped a beat. Photobucket

They had bear fur hanging on the wall. After asking someone if it was real, they asked for permission to touch it to see if bears are as soft as they look. . .. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

After the cookie break, we loaded up and started back up the mountain Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

John borrowed one of the girls gloves. . .he looks good in pink, yes? Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

After enjoying the view from the top, we made our way back down to the lodge for lunch. They made grilled chicken, as well as the best fried halibut we have had. Yum.

After lunch we started back down the mountain at a faster speed. My DDs literally laughed all the way down. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Our guides Photobucket

So, we took the shuttle to town instead of back to the ship and shopped. Both girls had wanted a sled dog & John had to have a Harley shop. Thankfully the Harley shop was easy to find. After we took another shuttle back to the ship.

We were trying to figure out what to do as we wanted to see a 7:15 pm show, so it was too early to eat dinner - but we were hungry enough not to want to wait until after the show. Abotu then there was a knock on the door and the butler showed up with a plate of sandwiches from him & a plate with cheese/crackes from the concierge. Talk about perfect timing. So we snacked on what he brought, and got cleaned up.

Next up, we took the girls up to the kids club - then John and I went to the Fyzz Lounge. The bartender there was from Ocho Rios, so we chatted a bit about his country, and John shared his dunebuggy mud dive story with him.   The bartender mixed us up something he called his "specialty". It was strong. Whew.

We then picked the kids up and headed down to the Stardust Theater. . tonight, a magician! He was very entertaining.    When we were leaving the theater we ran into yet another celebrity!   Just strolling down the hall!!

Photobucket

After the show we went to Azura, but it was packed. So we walked over to Tsars and had dinner. After dinner the hostess told us that Jenny (From Azura) had been looking for the girls. But it was late, and we were tied. We figured we would catch up with Jenny tomorrow. Thankfully tomorrow is a sea day, so no early morning for us.

We went back to our room to not one, but two towel animals. Photobucket

Can you tell which is the monkey? Photobucket

And Cris left cookies Photobucket

Before long it was ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 10:35am

I thought someone (professional) would be driving for you.  I wonder if they ever have cart incidents - over the edge, crashing, whatever.  A little scary.  Beautiful views, though, and I love the picture of your girls in front of the lake.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 11:03am

My husband was a truck driver when we met.    He switched jobs when we started dating so he wouldn't have to travel as much.   So he lives for these types of things where he can get behind the wheel.   Me, not so much.   But I usually feel safe in his hands. . .it was startling having that other kart slide in the mud toward us. . .

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 7:47am

I guess Alaska is a gamble on weather.   I had read to count on rain there & in Seattle.   Last year we were lucky, we had 10 days all together (3 Seattle /  7 Alaska) and not one drop of rain.

This year it rained a lot the first few days.   But this particular day (Skagway) it started over cast, but we went early in the morning - like 7:00 am.    By the afternoon it was a beautiful day - and it stayed beautiful for Victoria.

Where we live we really don't get much of seasonal changes, nor do we see mountains.  So Alaska is very different for us.   My DH has already asked to go back in 2014.   I said yes, but now that we are home I hesitating.  LOL.   I love it, but there are so many other places I want to see.   

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2012 - 7:09am

I've been trying to budget to see if I could swing Europe for 2014.   I'm also curious how they would handle that long of a flight.     I won't know budget wise or flight wise until next summer (next year's bonus + seeing how they handle the 8 hour flight to Hawaii).     Then I also wonder if I should hold off until 2015 For Europe, as it may make it extra special to do when the M&Ms "graduate" from elementary school.     I'm not great on waiting though.    I've been going through books on London & Paris, as well as looking at books on Disney Land Paris.   I get excited and want to go now. . .but I want it to be special too.  Certainly not a trip I see us doing more than once.

So many places, and not enough time & money.    

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 12:16pm

The M&Ms are a lot of fun.   They really seem to enjoy meeting new people & make friends where ever we go.   That is so like their father!  LOL

I was surprised how fun the mulekarts were.   I booked what is called a mudbug trip for our Hawaiian cruise next year - and booked a 4 seater so I won't have to drive.   I have mixed feelings on this - I feel safer having John drive. . .but when I think about how he was in Jamaica last year, I am sure I will get muddy this time around.   

You know when we are somewhere I am thinking "oooh that would look great on my calendar next year" and get them together.   Or "I want that shot for my bookcase at work" and again - make them pose together.   Then when I get home and upload the pics I realize I did it again.   I'm not the camera ham my family is - but I don't intentionaly not get in them.  I just don't think about it at the time.   However, Makayla gave me grief this year - she said she wants pics of me for when I'm gone, so she can always remember that I was there too.  Makes sense - so I'll have to make more of an effort.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 12:18pm

NYC sounds like a fun time.   I have a sister (much younger sister) that lives there.    I think it would be neat to see the Statue of Liberty in person.   And that particular sister of mine is Makayla's favorite aunt.  

I hope you make it, so I can live vicariously through your trip report!  :smileyhappy: