Alaska 2012 - Day 7 Sea Day

iVillage Member
Alaska 2012 - Day 7 Sea Day
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 9:05am

From what few notes/pictures I have - this is a very slow day.

We slept in. When we got up only the buffet was still opened. Maddie and I went up to the buffet and loaded up a couple of plates and brought it back down to our room for everyone to share. Well, we didn't share with John - who some time during the night got up and ate all (yes, all) the cookies Cris had brought.    He suggested someone broke into our stateroom during the night and stole the cookies!

We needed a few things. John had told me not to pack him a razor/shaving cream as he was not going to shave his head while we were on the cruise - but seems he changed his mind. I also needed a sewing kit. So we went down to the store and did some shopping. We then went over to the photographers and picked up the pics of the girls they took with their mascots.

We had wanted to do Teppanyakis again - but it seemed for dinner it was just full the rest of the week. But they were going to have a lunch today, so we got ourselves a noon reservation and headed that way.

The hostess there asked if we had seen Jenelyn, as she was looking for the girls the night before. We told her we would make a point to have dinner in Asura tonight to see her.

Now, we had a different chef at Teppanyakis this time, however the table behind ours had the chef from Saturday night. He came in and remembered Makayla. I guess he just liked saying her name. As he was cooking for another set of 8 he would every once in a while say something toward her like "this is how my friend Makayla likes it". or "Will you eat your vegetables of give them to Makayla for her mother?" LOL.   At one point he just started to sing her name "Makayla, Makayla, where is my Makayla".   I don't know if it amused the people at his area - but we were laughing pretty good.

At one point the two chef's switched and now that we had him he played with her more. It was cute.

We thanked the chef for making it memorable, and headed out.    So, now what? Well - the crew was having a talent show. . .so off we went. What a bunch of talented people they have. Granted, they had a few that weren't. . .well. ..great. But the first singer really "wow'd" us. The last performer was a bartender who did a scene out of the Tom Cruise movie Cocktail. Really nailed it.   And this year they did the Fontains again. I didn't film it - but basically they play formal music. . .dress like romans. . .and act like human water fountains. It was hilarious again. Well, at least to rednecks like us! :smileyvery-happy:

After the crew talent show we went back to our room & watched some tv until it was time to head back to the theater for tonight's performance . . .another circus style show.

This one was called Le Cirque Bijou. It was really good too. Very talented performers. After the show we headed down to Azura for dinner. As soon as we walked up we were told Jenelle had a table in her section for us. Well, the reason she had been looking for the M&Ms was she went into Skagway yesterday, and remembering how much they went on about seeing black bears on Monday - she bought them each a stuffed bear to remember it by.

Photobucket Photobucket 

Very sweet of her. She has an 8 year old daughter, and was missing her very badly.

When we got back to our room, John had arranged for a bottle of ice wine to be delivered - with peanuts! I had tried ice wine in Skagway last year and really enjoyed it. But was too tired to drink it. Maybe tomorrow.

So. . tomorrow was our last port day. :smileysad: Victoria. Plus we had arranged a special something-something for the girls tomorrow. Shhhhh, don't tell them! :smileyvery-happy:

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 10:42am
Very sweet of Jenelle to buy the girls bears! And the chef to play with Makayla! You guys seem to make so many friends on trips!

So you have to make reservations at the "nicer" restaurants, but not the others? And, for shows, do you have to have reservations, or you just show up? (Do they get full?)

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 11:08am

You don't make reservations for the shows - you just show up.  But on this cruise line they have two performances of each show each night.   One at 7:15 and one at 9:15.  We always tried to hit the 7:15 due to the kids.   Often it did get crowded in there, but we always arrived early enough to get good seats.

Norwegian has several free dining areas.   On this particular ship they had two actual resteraunts, Tsars and Azura.  They also had a 24 hour diner type place, a buffet & two outdoor grills - that are all free.   They then have about 5 resteraunts you have to pay an extra fee for.     You don't have to make reservations fro the specialty places - but it helps.  There are monitors all over the ship that list all the resteraunts/eating establilshments that show you how full they are.  So if you wanted to go to a specialty place and it was not full you could just walk in.   Teppanyakis is harder as it has limited seating.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 8:17am

It doesn't seem to bother them at all.   They just seem to enjoy making new friends when we go somewhere.  

We rarely go anywhere where one of them doesn't get stopped to be told how beautiful her hair is.   I asked them once if it made them feel funny, they said no - it made them feel like a tv star.