Avatar coming to AK 2017 - looks cool!

Community Leader
Avatar coming to AK 2017 - looks cool!
Sat, 10-12-2013 - 12:19am

Ok, so I was just as skeptical as the next guy when I heard that Disney was adding an Avatar-land to AK - it just didn't seem like a likely pairing.  I'm still not sure about the "connection" but wowee do the pictures look amazing! In particular, I love the idea of a nighttime spectacular here! Hope this link works:

https://d23.com/whats-next-for-disneys-animal-kingdom-avatar-tree-of-life-d23-expo-japan/

Val, Co-CL Disney Vacations

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-12-2013 - 6:36am

I agree.   The pics do look pretty interesting.     

I think it's a clever addtion as it would reach kids that feel like they have outgrown Disney.   And people like my DH who feels Disneyed-out.

Community Leader
Sun, 10-13-2013 - 11:03pm

Although I cannot get my kids to watch this movie! LOL When they announced the partnership, I picked up the movie, thinking we'd better become familiar with it.  I've caught the ending on tv and was intrigued but my girls have 0 interest! After I saw these gorgeous pictures, I told Clara that it was time to pull out the movie and she said, we've got until 2017 to worry about that :D

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-14-2013 - 7:18am

I am most excited about the nighttime events within the park! Since we always travel off season AK closes at five it is hard to see everything so that will be great!!  As for Avatar...I am with your girls on the can't be bothered list... I remember DH watching it a few years ago but I think I was working from home or something... I certainly wasn't paying attention! 

Melissap.jpg

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-14-2013 - 11:34am

My DDs love the movie Avatar.     When we went to Seattle in 2011 they had some of the items from the movie in the EMP Center that were hands on - and a hit with my family.   So I imagine my DH and DDs will enjoy this addition.     The pics look pretty cool too.   

When I told my DDs that Mickey was building an Avatar Land, their only concern was the very tall blue people could step on someone.  :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-21-2013 - 8:46pm

I LOVED Avatar, and the pics look amazing! Definitely looking forward to it, especially the nighttime stuff. I just hope they do it justice, and it doesn't come off as cheesy. That's always my fear when they try to "do something" with a movie that I dearly love, like I'm afraid they are going to ruin it for me (OT - but that's probably why I can't bring myself to watch Monster's U)

As for the "fit" w/ AK, I guess I can see it working there more than any of the other parks, and AK needs something big to liven it up anyway. Plus it will be nice to have it open later (at least I'm assuming it will have to be for the nighttime stuff to work out). 

Cool Jaime (Me) **** Laughing Brian (DH) **** Smile Lily (DD-10) **** Tongue OutOwen (DS-3)

Community Leader
Sun, 01-12-2014 - 4:22pm

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-15-2014 - 12:46pm

I love that pic of them all standing with the really large blue shovels!

I am looking forward to this addition.   Heck, it may not be until 2017 before we get back to WDW. . . .