*~*~* Friday (7/14) Five *~*~*

iVillage Member
*~*~* Friday (7/14) Five *~*~*
Fri, 07-14-2006 - 8:41am

1. Is out of sight, out of mind?
  2. Do you believe that life exists on other planets?
  3. How did it come about that men wore pants and women wore skirts? Didn't "cave people" all dress alike?
  4. What's your method for getting rid of hiccups?

5. Weekend plans???

~Jackie

Visit me at
the Volunteering and

~Jackie

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-14-2006 - 8:43am

1. Is out of sight, out of mind? - It all depends on what it is ;-)
  2. Do you believe that life exists on other planets? - I'm undecided, but leaning toward "no"
  3. How did it come about that men wore pants and women wore skirts? Didn't "cave people" all dress alike? -
  4. What's your method for getting rid of hiccups? - I wait for them to go away on their own

5. Weekend plans??? - Nothing much...A b-day party on Sunday, followed by working on-line

~Jackie

Visit me at
the Volunteering and

~Jackie

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-14-2006 - 1:49pm

Is out of sight, out of mind?
For most Americans - yes. Things happen and we are interested in it for about a nano-second or however long it takes to be told on CNN or the local news... and then we promptly forget about it.

Do you believe that life exists on other planets?
I have a hard time believing that we are it in the entire vast universe. I think "life" also can be open-ended. Wouldn't have to be humanoid, could just be bateria.

How did it come about that men wore pants and women wore skirts? Didn't "cave people" all dress alike?
Never understood that. Scottish men still occasionally wear kilts (mmmm...kilts....GZ takes a moment to be happy with that thought.) I think the downfall for skirts came when we had to wear pantyhose.

What's your method for getting rid of hiccups?
Deep breaths and concentrating on my diaphram.

Weekend plans???
DH's friends are having their 50th anniversary party Saturday. Sunday we are helping with a party to celebrate the end of Vacation Bible School.
Early to the farmers market before it gets stiffling hot. Our lows for the coming weekend and next week are going to be about 72 degrees F. at night. During the day we are suppose to get up to the upper 90's with humidity in the tropical zone. (And not it isn't the humidity, it is the stupidity.)

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-16-2006 - 8:28am

>>For most Americans - yes. Things happen and we are interested in it for about a nano-second or however long it takes to be told on CNN or the local news... and then we promptly forget about it.

Do you think that it might be different elsewhere?

~Jackie

Visit me at
the Volunteering and

~Jackie

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-17-2006 - 9:57am

1. no out os sight is not nesasarily out of mind lol

2. Yes i believe in life on other planets

3. LOL i think most of them were nude!!! acording to something i read...pants for men were developed early to make it easier for the men to hunt.I guess the skirts, robes, or dresses would get caught on stuff.LOL or it was hard to get a good razor for thier leggs at the time lol!!!

4. lol well i drink water or something.Me keep my mouth closed lol ...not likely lol j/k !!

5. My weekend plans were to get some trees gone, and they are.Get the couch cleaned...and it is .Work on the camper...we did!

glenda

Edited 7/17/2006 10:01 am ET by veercan2005
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-17-2006 - 12:34pm

>>pants for men were developed early to make it easier for the men to hunt.I guess the skirts, robes, or dresses would get caught on stuff

That makes sense =)

~Jackie

Visit me at
the Volunteering and

~Jackie

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-19-2006 - 2:07pm

I think that we Americans tend to keep a look out for the next thing. It isn't that we don't care or that we don't really remember. But in our very microwave society, if something doesn't get fixed immediately or if we have to wait for an order then we tend to lose interest.

Example from several years ago when I worked retail.
Oprah started reviewing books and talking to authors. It was about a year before she started her Book Club. The only problem with her doing a show on a certain book was that they never notified anyone that she would be talking with Marianne Williamson that day. So most bookstores would not have the books in stock or at least not in great quantities. So here is a conversation at about 4:55 (right after Oprah's end credits start to roll)

Phone lines ring like crazy. The first two people get their names on the only two copies of the book that we have on hand. But the first call is something like this:

C= Consumer who just saw the show
Me= Me who has been at work since noon and not near a TV

C: Yeah I would like that book that Oprah just had on the show.
Me: Okay, what was the title?
C: Umm, I don't know. But it was really inspiring.
Me: Who was the author?
C: Some woman.
Me: Named?
C: I don't remember. But it was really amazing. Didn't you see the show?
Me: No, sorry. I have been here all afternoon and we don't have a TV. What was it about?
C: I'm not sure. Oh, I remember something.
Me: (oh JOY) yes?
C: The cover was PINK!
Me: Well, that is nice, but we don't have the books arranged by cover.
C: You don't? Why not? (Unfortantly, she wasn't kidding and she wasn't the only one who thought that having the store separated by fiction, non-fiction sections and by author or title -depending on section- was stupid.)
Me: Let's try again. You just saw the show?
(Repeat for 5 minutes)

After the first two books were held or sold the rest of the calls went like this:

C: What do you mean you are out of the Oprah book?!?
Me: Well, we had a rush on it because it was on the show today. We can certainly order it for you. It will only take about 5 days to get it in. (For the time, that was darn good. Pre-Amazon days)
C: I don't have time for that. Forget it.

Now here's the funny thing, if I did order it for people, half the time they had forgotten that they had ordered it and then we would have leftovers.
And this process would happen again when her show would be a repeat.

Also the fact that people forget that their are still troops in Afghanistan and even a war still happening in Bosnia. If it isn't in the mainstream TV news at night, people assume that stuff is done.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-20-2006 - 8:06am
I think you're right, and that it also applies to stuff right here in the US.

~Jackie

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-20-2006 - 9:08am

Exactly. And don't get me wrong. I am as guilty as the next person with things.
(My church adopted a church down in Louisana bayou area, but we haven't heard boo about them in about 6 months.)

Sorry, just a really sore spot of mine. It's like the gene that was for memory or compassion for long term issues is gone in most people. (I have my reasonings, but it is conspiracy theories at best.)

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-20-2006 - 8:20pm
Do you know if "your people" have tried contacting "their people" with a "We're willing to do more, but could use a little direction" kind of message?

~Jackie

Visit me at
the Volunteering and

~Jackie