Roll Call for the Week of 6/06

iVillage Member
Roll Call for the Week of 6/06
Mon, 06-07-2004 - 10:52am

Please take a moment to "sign in" here, and tell us...

How do you choose your destination(s)?

~Jackie

Cl of the Volunteering Board

and

Co-Cl of The Book Nook

and

~Jackie

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2004 - 11:02am

How we choose varies...

Longer trips require actual planning and perhaps even research LOL

~Jackie

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2004 - 3:35am

In the old days, before computers and internet, I use to go to the library and look thought books for interesting places to go visit.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2004 - 3:54pm
Hello! Our family has not done a lot of camping (yet). For one thing, we live in a very beautiful semi-rural area on Monterey Bay, and our house is so old/run down it's almost like camping when we're at home! lol! Plus my DS's (3, close in age) were the sort that had to be watched every single second when they were little, there were a few years when I wouldn't even take them to the neighborhood parks unless it was completely fenced in and I didn't have to park any distance away (even across the street –seriously!). They're older now so we're getting set up for camping, a little at a time. But, it's an investment, and we have a lot of other things we like to do. (This year our Little League team is unbeaten in the championships. All three boys are on the same team, DH is manager, I'm "team mom". If we win tonight we're Champs and go to district, wish us luck!)

Our reasons for choosing a particular place are as different as the places we end up:

One May we went to Death Valley because we all had this chest congestion thing that wouldn't go away, and I wanted to go somewhere that it could no longer exist. (That trip turned into a disaster but that's a different story!)

Once we got invited to camp on private property, where an extended family- invited friends group were having their yearly big shebang. We really didn't know anybody except the one person who'd invited us, and we arrived before he & his wife did. We accidentally set up camp right alongside of one of the original family member's established spot (wondered why such a great space was still available, lol), and when they discovered us in their "back yard" they wouldn't let us move but instead made us come and eat with them, got their kids (bigger) to play with ours(littler), insisted we use some of their gear to make us more comfortable, etc. (we were just camping out of the back of our truck, I'd planned cold food etc.)

We went to Big Basin State Park with my sons' class, one of the girl's dad had been the head ranger there so we got the group campsite free, plus our own ranger/guide/teacher all weekend.

Our family visited a CA State Park at Lake Tahoe, which is where that same family is currently.

We've camped in several of the most local spots, just because it's easy to stay close. We're surrounded by local spots, as you can imagine.

We also airplane camp. (We flew to Death Valley.) My DH is a pilot and we have a charter (air-taxi) service. Most small airports don't care if you camp under your wing and some even encourage it. Often they have "loaner" cars so you're not just stuck at the airport. Or if the airport authority doesn't, sometimes another pilot who is based there will loan you a car. They want you to sign a guestbook and tell where you're from, or what you did while you were out in their community, or something like that, and they want you to admire their collection of places and names. It's like their "badge", I guess, just part of what the General Aviation Community doesto make it work and make it fun. One Thanksgiving we took a loaner from an airport near Yosemite into the park, and stayed in the winterized cabins. The trouble with airplane camping is that you can't take much stuff, so it's always the most primitive kind of camping: small (if any) tent, hard ground, crackers and cheese for meals, etc. Also, unless you DO take a loaner car to somewhere better, most airports are not the most exciting places to camp (especially with kids!). There are a few great places though, like Columbia State Historical Park, where there's a "living" Gold Rush town just a 15 minute walk from the airport, thru the Sierra foothills grassland. These places are easy to find once you start asking around. There are websites where GA people share info like that. (And then, there's unplanned airplane camping. Choosing a destination is even easier when there's a thunderstorm blocking your path you just can't dodge it. Closest airport–LAND!)

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2004 - 10:25am
Good Morning!

as a kid we camped in state parks,around lakes and rivers and just in the mountains with a big group of people that the interest was riding dirtbikes and sitting around the campfire. It depended on if i was with my parents or my grandparents(did TONS of camping with g&g)

Ive decided to take the kids to a campground at lake hartwell thats a statepark.i wanted to be able to rough it with flush toilets and showers LOL its also only about an hour from our house and 30 minutes from my mils. id like to venture our further but not going to unntil i feel really confident with the kids!

Tiffany
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2004 - 10:58am
Carma, from Iowa. DH and I tent camp with Sadie, aka Pupzilla. (Though she is about a year and a half now).

This year we are choosing something within about 2 hours of where we live. Gas prices are so whacky and there are some nice county parks as well as state parks in that radius. We have a couple county parks in mind that we stopped by last year on the way home from Omaha.

I think our first trip will be late July for 4 days/3 nights.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2004 - 12:42pm

Good old fashioned research???

~Jackie

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2004 - 12:44pm

If I lived in a semi-rural area, I don't know how much desire I'd have to go elsewhere :)

(Your airplane camping sounds very cool, BTW!)

~Jackie

Cl of the Volunteering Board

and

Co-Cl of The Book Nook

and

~Jackie

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2004 - 12:47pm

Yeah, flush toilets and showers are rather nice, aren't they?

~Jackie

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2004 - 12:49pm
Do your county parks offer camping?

~Jackie