Meeting Ideas 4/13-4/26

iVillage Member
Meeting Ideas 4/13-4/26
Fri, 04-11-2008 - 7:48am
What's planned?

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2008 - 10:24am

This month my Tigers have been working on their Flying Carpet for our Pack meeting's Cardboard Box Car Derby.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2008 - 8:54am
Sounds like fun!!!
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2008 - 12:49pm

We had our den meeting last night.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2008 - 12:56pm

I'm sorry that the adults didn't have even the courtesy to call and let you know...but chose to just not show up. That's so irresponsible, and it really lets the kids down and sets poor examples for them.

I think it's funny about the kids noticing who does the work and who gets the awards. This just proves they really do pay attention and put two and two together in their little brains!

I also hope your flowers all grow...It's something you can enjoy even when it's not boyscout time!

Jen

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2008 - 10:43am
How frustrating that the adult didn't bother calling to let you know they couldn't be there or anything!
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 8:40am
The boys are really looking forward to the derby!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2008 - 3:32pm

Our Tiger's meeting was after school yesterday and I was in charge of leading this one. With the theme Abracadabra, I found some magic tricks and puzzles for the boys to be amazed with, then learn. First, we started with a snack at starting time and only 3 of the 5 boys were there, but the den leader made it very clear we weren't waiting for anyone since people had things to do after the meeting as well. So, they had snack. Then we moved onto a puzzle that I had made years ago and I pulled out of my basement. It's a wood block with a single nail in the middle. Then the boys had to figure out how to balance a dozen more nails on that one's head. A fourth boy arrived at the start of this and wanted snack. I said no...that part was over. ( I didn't feel bad because his mom picked him up from school at the same time I got my kids and they were late...she also dropped him off half an hour late for CCD this past week because they were at a yard sale???) Then after that puzzle, I lined up some seats in front of a long table...think stage and audience...for the rest of the magic tricks. This is when the 5th boy shows up and wants snack...he also got a firm "no" (and again I didn't feel badly because he and his family are always holding the rest of us up...like when on our tour of the police station, the chief of police had to go looking for them because they wandered away from the group to find candy and soda machines!!!) Then I taught them how to make a scarf look like it goes thru their neck, how to jump a rubber band from two fingers to two other fingers, the water and cups puzzle from the Tiger Cub helps paper and a slightly different version of the card trick from there. And I showed them how to use an accomplice...I had my son in on a trick and they didn't know it until we revealed how the trick was done. Sean was really proud of that one! He basically gave me the answer to which object someone picked while I wasn't looking...it seemed as if I could read their minds! After most tricks, I let the boys try it...like the scarf one, the water and cups one, and the rubber band one. I read Clarence the Magician from the Cub Scout paper for the closing.

The problems I had...I think 2 boys are manic and 1 is depressive. The manic ones were all over everything, couldn't control themselves, "knew" everything, had a hard time even focusing on the new tricks because they kept leaving their seats and running around trying to do other stuff and refused to return...and this is more than just normal boy energy (for one boy, the mom knows this is an ongoing problem and consistently addressed it with her son, the other from the yard sale incident seemed oblivious). The depressive one never wanted to do anything, kept hiding under his chair, seemed really angry with his parents...this is the one from the police station incident...he also lives on my street and runs the neighborhood unsupervised. Then there's my son and the den leader's son. She also tried to control the boys during the magic learning when the others parents (who were there) did not do a thing. Isn't that why they are there in the first place at Tiger Cubs??? I like Cub Scouts, but each meeting is like this when those 2 families remember to bring their boys. It's so nice when they don't show up and the others actually get to be heard and have nice experiences. I'm not the den leader, but I'm sure even she doesn't have an idea of how to make this situation better for next year.

Jen

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2008 - 5:50pm
Sounds like the meeting went pretty well.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2008 - 1:28pm

Jen - it is so frustrating to have kiddos who just can't handle listening.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2008 - 2:42pm

Isn't that the whole point of Tiger Adult Partners...so the kids can actually get something done without the Adult Partner (me, this time) having to discipline? Yes, they are moving on in about 3 weeks to the next level, but this is still Tigers!

And yes, the whole magic program I envisioned was pretty cool! And most of it got done the way I had hoped, (knowing in advance and planning for the kid challenges) I still hoped for a little more hands-on than actually got done...the 2 seriously just didn't cooperate.

Jen

Pages