IN Lawmaker Refuses to Support GS 100th Anniversary

iVillage Member
IN Lawmaker Refuses to Support GS 100th Anniversary
Mon, 02-20-2012 - 9:38pm

I know this was mentioned a couple of weeks ago about parents believing stories they've found on the Internet, but I'm surprised that this lawmaker is also believing it without (what appears to be) much research.

A lawmaker in Indiana has refused to support a resolution celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Girl Scouts because he believes it is a "radicalized organization that supports abortion and promotes homosexuality."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-indiana-lawmaker-girls-scouts-a-radicalized-organization-20120220,0,4927713.story

In a letter, Rep. Bob Morris wrote:

• "After talking to some well-informed constituents, I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing."

A "small amount of web-based research?"

iVillage Member

I guess he is jumping on the bandwagon that has been heading in this kind of direction in politics lately.

“Clearly," said Arthur,"you're an idiot- but you're our kind of idiot. Come on.” 
― Markus ZusakThe Book Thief

iVillage Member
I still believe that Girl Scouts- in a round about way does support Planned Parenthood. Because as a member organization, GSUSA does have to give Planned Parenthood International a stipend based on the number of members each year. Now, where does that money come from??? I know most councils don't have active relationships with Planned Parenthood and some that do are for programming such as bike safety or health and safety for the younger set... but still any program money given in that fashion does ultimately go to the group. As a leader of a Catholic School based Girl Scout group, I need to uphold what the Catholic religion and the parents of my Girl Scouts believe and try my best to make good decisions. Right now, the Catholic Committee on Scouting still encourages us to be involved and to be Girl-led as the Girl Scout model shows. But also to make good decisions and model our ways for other Girl Scout troops. I think next year, the parents are mostly going to choose to not participate in the cookie and magazine sale because of these "perceived threats to their beliefs." I told them they would have to organize and help run other fundraisers because we do earn over $1000 each year for our troop on the cookie sale alone. So, we will see.

But as for politicians- I don't know that this is the right way to go about anything... I think he is in this for the publicity and media attention.

I also wanted to mention that I found out that the Boy Scouts of America have entered into an agreement with the American Heritage Girls based on their programming and philosophy, but won't do the same for Girl Scouts USA. I found that VERY interesting and wanted to know more...Does anyone have any links that they can share based on this topic?

-Jen
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 11:21pm
Not really on the politics of all of this...but, I was interested to see you imply that you could do other fundraisers in leui of the council sponsored ones.

In our council, you can't. You must get any additional fund raising approved, and one of the conditions is that you participated in both the 'official' sales.

Wonder if that is different from council to council?
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 10:24am
Oh, our council also says that we must "participate" in the council sponsored fundraisers too... but it doesn't say that every girl must participate. I know that some people really like to sell the cookies and will continue to do so in the future, but for the parents who choose not to participate in that (2 in particular are really against this "threat") I told them that they will have to figure out some other type of fundraiser for our troop and help to run it... and it must comply with Girl Scout regulations or they must on their own, do something and then they, themselves, must donate that money to our troop. Or they must out of their own pocked give a donation... our troop does quite a bit and they see that it is fair to help the troop in this manner so that their daughter doesn't get a "free ride" on these activities. They are willing to do the work or to donate... they just don't want a cent to get to a place that they do not support, whether or not the money actually flows that way or not... it's hard to tell with the way everyone publicizes their own ways. I don't know if I'm making sense, but it seems to work out in my own head like this, this morning. We will see how things actually turn out when next year arrives.