Laurel Anne arrived Oct 31, 2010

iVillage Member
Laurel Anne arrived Oct 31, 2010
Thu, 11-04-2010 - 4:42pm

So, at 40 w and 2/3 days I went to the Doc and he recommended induction. I was feeling pretty nervous, mostly because I was worried about baby, but she was the most active of all my babies, so I had some reassurance. Josh and I decided to go ahead with the induction because he was worried too. Saturday night, after Trick-or-Treat, we headed up to the hospital. My Mom accompanied us, hoping things would move quickly and I would deliver that night, or in the early morning. I checked in about 10pm, got gowned up and they inserted the cytotec around 11pm. At that point my cervix was high, posterior and maybe a 3.....I slept on and off during the night, mostly concerned for baby. In the morning they declared I was lower and definitely effaced more but not dilated. However, the cytotec had done its job and they could reach the bag of water to break it. Dr. Hart tried three times to break the bag but he could only scratch it and it leaked just a tad. But, that was just enough to push my contractions to become more regular. Josh and I walked and walked and walked for the next several hours. At lunch time I was maybe a 5 but only 95% effaced, so Josh decided to take Mom home to shower andhelp my Dad with the kids, and I got in the whirlpool tub for a little over an hour and labored alone. The tub was lovely. Very warm water with jets and I just layed there and relaxed...well, for the most part. When Josh got back, we decided on the pitocin. I was about 6cm then, but not progressing as fast as hoped and there seemed to be a lack of "waters", as well as baby experiencing some sluggishness from the long labor. They started pit at 4ish.....I labored in bed and on the ball. A little after 5, I needed to use the restroom. I got in there and yelled for Josh to call my Mom now! I had 3 BIG contractions in the restroom and then moved back to the ball for transition. It was intense! More intense than Asher's birth which also included pit and no pain meds....I had several contractions on the ball that almost forced me to my feet each time to relieve the pressure. When Josh was finished gowning (he is the delivering Dr....) the nurse helped me into the bed. I was trying to hold on for my Mom. I had 2 very, very, very painful contractions on my side in the bed as I "waited." However, the urge to really push overcame me and I literally rolled over to my back and curled up and pushed with all my strength. Baby just appeared...in one push. I was breathing hard and still trying to hold on for my Mom, but the "fire" was there and I had to get past it. 3 more pushes and she was out, and I was relieved! 6:04 pm...then my Mom arrived. I felt so bad. She really wanted to see Laurel's birth. But, at least she got there when she was still on my tummy and brand-new. Dr. Hart took over to catch the afterbirth and clean me up (just a skid-mark), and then the nurse took baby to wipe her down and let my Mom finish tying off the cord. Minutes later, the whole family arrived with my Dad and the kids got to see their baby sister when she was less than an hour old. It was very special and baby Laurie even brought pillow pets for all the kids! (We have a tradition that baby always "brings" a gift for the sibs...)
The birth was lovely, except for being a little long. I got up and showered after everyone left and I have felt great ever since. Laurel is pretty tiny and we have to wander if it could be due to my water perhaps leaking for the last few weeks, or just being extremely low. That could also be why I felt so much movement....I am grateful for all the prayers in our behalf and for my children who prayed every day that she would get here safely. I feel truly blessed.

Courtney

Mommy to Tristan, Melina, Ciomara, Asher, Delaney, #

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-04-2010 - 6:59pm

Congratulations!!

Julie-
Mom to Michael (11), Jessica (11), Emily (10), Sarah (6), and Matthew (4) and Aunt to Laura (10)

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-05-2010 - 12:00am

Congratulations!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-05-2010 - 1:06pm

She is beautiful.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-05-2010 - 8:32pm

Congratulations!!! Welcome little one.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-06-2010 - 12:10pm
Congrats! Very pretty name.
Photobucket

http://reconciledtogod.blogspot.com/
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-06-2010 - 12:26pm

Congrats Courtney, beautiful baby and a beautiful name for her. Enjoy her!

ivillage sig Thanks for the siggy butterfly746
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-07-2010 - 5:18pm

Congratulations!!!!! good work mamma, enjoy that little one and happy birth day

hugs
Sher

Go with the flow of good chaos

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-08-2010 - 6:51pm

CONGRATS ON YOUR HALLOWEEN BABY!!!!Shes BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-09-2010 - 5:42pm

Hi!!

Hugs, Holly Mom to 5 wonderful children Alex 5/97- 5/09 Chloe 2/05 Bailey 7/07 Jaden 11/08 Preston 09/10