Hair Straightening 101

iVillage Member
Hair Straightening 101
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 10:57am

I have a dilemma...Each morning my dd 13 wants her hair straightened, and she seems unable to accomplish this task on her own. So our morning routine consists of the two of us at 6:30am *yawn* standing (me) and dd sitting while I go through the process of straightening her hair with the flat iron.

Does anyone else go through this fiasco? and if not and you have dd's who straighten their OWN hair, which brand

Pages

Community Leader
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 12:36pm

My daughter straightens her hair every morning. She has relatively straight hair to begin with, so pretty much any brand works on her hair
The smaller, the better, we have found. Have you tried letting her practice on the weekends? It just takes time to master how to do it.
I agree that it is very hard on the hair. I ruined my hair last year by straightening it.
I have heard that Chi is the best out there, and possibly less damaging (although I don't know how).

Good Luck! Hopefully someone else is going through this as well.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 2:48pm

I'm so glad dd#1, 15yo 10th grade, is over that stage. She has learned to embrace her curls. She'll iron it occasionally for an event, or show, but day in and day out she wears her curls. She's even planning on enhancing her curls and pinning her hair up for homecoming this weekend.

7th and 8th grade though? Ironed it everyday. If I were you, I'd stop doing it for her. She's old enough to do it herself if she wants to have straight hair. She should also use a deep conditioner, and a heat protection product. Another key is to have a haircut that works with straightening. If her hair is thick or if she has a lot of hair it might help to thin it out and wear it shorter (layered just below the shoulder v. blunt cut middle of the back for example).

Thankfully dd#2, 11yo 7th grade, has straight hair that is very wash and go. She washes it at night and just pulls a brush through it in the morning. Smooth, silky, and full. She needs a monthly bang trim, a good cut (long layers) every three months, and that's it; no product, dryers, or irons. Not sure where it came from but it's not fair!

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 3:20pm
What no one told you how? Even I a male who shaves his head know how to do that! What incompetent hair dresser are you going to?
dragon B Dragon
xvx Pictures, Images and Photos

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 3:20pm

Yes, We had dd's hair layered and it isn't

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 3:54pm

I'd put my foot down about that. There's nothing like having to do something yourself to teach you how to do it in a hurry. You should not be doing your DD's hair at this age. I agree with whoever said to have her practice on weekends. If it takes too long, then it just can't be done before school.

Our general rule for anything in the morning is that it should not be extra. Lunches need to be assembled the night before, with the cold stuff in the fridge put in at the last minute. All clothing needs to be

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 3:56pm
There's no way I'd be ironing hair at 6:30 a.m.--I am not a morning person & it's aggravating me that I have to set the alarm for 6:15 to make sure DS is up for school this year since he can sleep through a very loud alarm, then I go back to bed. lol My DD, who is now 21, ironed her own hair but she didn't do it every day--also if she did it the night before, it was still straight the next day. Now esp. in the summer humidity, she has embraced the curls. I am so jealous actually--if she washes her hair & does nothing, it has beautiful waves that looks like she set it. Funny though, when she was little, I don't remember her hair ever being curly. It was very straight as a matter of fact w/o being ironed--I wonder how that changed?
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 4:14pm
excuse me?
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 4:19pm

you should absolutely stop doing it for her. I have a tiny bit of osteoarthritis in my wrist, so I can somewhat relate. On a bad day my own hair is going to look moppy, never mind helping a capable kid! :o)

I'm a big believer in letting kids do things for themselves. Sure we all pitch in to help one another out, but in general if my girls can do it, they don't expect someone else to step in.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 4:36pm
This has been time proven how to straighten curly hair! I am wondering what everybody is doing to make such a fuss! And are we talking about curly or frizzy hair?
dragon B Dragon
xvx Pictures, Images and Photos

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 8:44pm

Like everyone else, I'd tell her to do it herself. Start practicing--she'll burn herself, but she'll learn. That's what my mom did with me and my sis, that's what I did with my dd's. Both I, and *my* mom, would have been dipped in you-know-what before we did what you are doing. Besides, both she & I had jobs to get to, and our OWN hair to fix every morning!

What I would suggest might be easier, is rather than a flat iron, try an LARGE diameter curling iron. A marcel iron is best, but that takes time to learn also.

BTW, I was at the hairdresser today, and I was recalling dipping my boob-long hair in Dep, and then wrapping it around ORANGE JUICE CANS, making a Carmen Miranda tower on my head in the morning, to get body without frizz. Poor 20-something looked at me like I had a 3rd eye...

Pages