297 lb. 12 Year Old Banned from Pee Wee Football

iVillage Member
297 lb. 12 Year Old Banned from Pee Wee Football
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 3:34pm

So our Pee Wee Pop Warner team was disbanded :smileysad:  We had four kids that didn't meet weight, three were over and one was under.  While I've very disappointed that we will have to switch to the local youth league, I totally understand why the restrictions are there in the first place.  One of the reasons we like Pop Warner is that they are so careful about matching up the kids based on size. 

Considering this just happened to us, I was very interested to read about a Texas 12 year old that was banned from his Pee Wee team.  He's 6'1" and weighs close to 300 pounds: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/15/elijah-earnheart-pee-wee-football_n_1779107.html?1345065186&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl16%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D193021

The weight limit for his division is 135 pounds, and although I'm sad for the boy, totally understand why they made that decision.  I would not want my child matched up with an opposing player weighs more than twice he does!  The mom is protesting it, which I find pretty sad.  She's not thinking of the danger that the other boys would be put under.  Do you think that they made the right choice?

Photobucket

Community Leader
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 10:07am
I agree with the league. Too bad they didn't have a varsity level for him to play on, with all the bigger kids. I am sorry about your team too, that is too sad.

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

Community Leader
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 10:54am
I heard this on the radio this morning and I agree with the league. They put restrictions in place for the safety of all players involved and yes, its sad for the boy involved, given the ramifcations if something happened, its best for all involved.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 12:41pm

We didn't do pop warner and one reason is the weight issues. I have a tall skinny kid who weighs a LOT more then he looks and he doesn't make weight for his age. Some of our ages cross so he can move up but NO WAY, he may weight X but no way I would let him play with kids who look twice his size even if by the numbers they aren't and at the same I understand parents reaction if he was allowed to play with kids he towers over in height. Again weight is only part of the issue we and others have with pop warner her so some former coaches have teamed with the Y to do flag football. Course it boggles my mind they are doing it sundays at 2pm...um if you like football SOOOO much you are voluntering to teach kids don't you want to watch it??? same with parents and needless to say will take some arm twisting if DS wants to play when I tell DH when it is :smileyhappy:

Its hard but league is clearly in the right. They have to think of ALL the kids. We had some BIG kids on DS baseball team this year. They were in the age limit (there is no weight) which runs from 8 to 12 and. Needless to say there were some tiny 8 year olds and some BIG 11 year olds and our coach would ALWAYS warn our kids if X was on 3rd and they are at bat MOVE if the ball gets away from the catcher because I am sending X and he is TWICE as big as you and its gonna hurt. took a few collisions before the kids got it. Now baseball is not a big contact sport but there are still times the big kid is sliding into a base and its a tiny one covering and parents cringed. I can only imagine if it was football and there was that size difference.

Photobucket