Mothers of 12/13 year old boys (Question)

iVillage Member
Mothers of 12/13 year old boys (Question)
Sat, 08-10-2013 - 4:21pm

Hello,

I have a question. Do your boys shower with their dads? I'm a mom of girls so I don't know how it is with boys. The reason I ask is that I was away on vacation at the beach. The beach house has an outside shower stall for showers mainly for rinsing off sand etc. You can take a full shower as there is a shower curtain and a holder for shampoo etc. Anyway, usually it's not used that way as people mainly just rinse off with the door open. Well, the other day we came back to rinse off and the door was closed. We waited a good 15 mins and still no one came out. I then knocked and said I was waiting for the shower and the guy said he would be out. We still waited another 15 minutes when he finally came out--with a 12/13 year old boy! They were both dressed with shorts on and they had shampoo. I was shocked but I don't know if it was an innocent thing or a Sandusky thing. Like I said I don't have boys so don't know if it's unusual. I thought they were taking too long because I have two daughters and I give them baths and wash their hair and they even play a little and it doesn't take that long. That was why I was concerned. Do you think it's normal?

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-12-2013 - 11:21am

I'm divorced but to the best of my knowledge, my ex has never taken a shower w/ our son--even when our son was little, he might give him a bath or shower but my ex wouldn't be in the shower with him.  (Now I know in some families with little kids they might get in the tub with a kid so I'm not saying that's wrong.)  Are you sure this was the boy's father?

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-12-2013 - 5:03pm

I said "Hey this shower's only for people staying here.Are you staying here?" And he just said yes he's staying there. We watched him leave and we saw him enter the unit with the boy so we did assume it was his son, but I guess we don't know for sure.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-14-2013 - 11:27am

I have a 14 yo son and a 10 yo son and neither one showers with their dad. I agree with you, what you saw does seem odd....

Lisa 

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-19-2013 - 6:10pm

Mine does not but I could see different scenarios where that could happen.... day at the beach, going to an event after, jump in with your suits on, rinse off, wash the hair, get dressed... off to the party/show/whatever. I could see a dad and son sharing the water in a hurry with suits on. If the shower had a shower curtain and a door, I assume it had one of those tiny changing spaces attached. I don't really see my DH and DS sharing a shower that didn't involve keeping suits on now that DS is 12 but I could totally see them taking turns in a pinch with a shower curtain and door set-up.