Reading Program ... saga continues ...

Avatar for keke0116
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-26-2003
Reading Program ... saga continues ...
Sun, 07-20-2003 - 5:23pm
Well, I convinced myself to keep Kevin in the reading program I signed him up for and made vacation plans around that schedule. He's to start on Saturday, with classes each Saturday from 11:30-2:00 at a private Catholic School in our area. He 'might' miss 1 class, but could do a make up, and we feel this would benefit him with the start of middle school next month. IF I wanted to cancel (and obtain a refund) I had to do it by the 16th (10 days before the start of the first class.) I spoke to them on the 14th to ask a few questions, and decided after that to not cancel.

Well, I got in a confirmation yesterday in the mail with some instructions ... plus a change of location. They moved the class from this nice school (which is a learning environment) to the rec room at an area park ... not a great area either, I might add. I've been there as Kevin has played baseball at that park. The rec room has a noisy a/c (and Kevin has auditory problems.) The park is busy ... lots of older kids playing basketball on a Saturday morning/afternoon. The restrooms for the park are located inside the rec room, so there would be people in/out all day. Not only is that a distraction, I personally don't find it very safe. I was FLOORED to say the least. Now, I'm less than 10 days from the first class ... but I am NOT sending my kid.

I sent a fax this a.m. and explained that this is NOT the program I signed him up for, had this been disclosed from the beginning (or at the very least, when I called on the 14th) I wouldn't have signed him up (or I would have cancelled within their time frame.) They're not in today, but they'd better not give me a hard time. I 'think' that signing him up for this class constituted a 'contract' (offer/acceptance and all of that) and by changing the venue, they essentially changed the contract ... don't you think? SO, they 'should' give me a refund without giving me a hard time. I really hope it's simple 'cause I am not in the mood for a fight. BUT, I would never have spent nearly $300 for my kid to sit in a rec room at a park for 2 1/2 hours on a Saturday. THAT, to me, is not an environment conducive to learning (especially with some of his challenges) ... but I'm very disappointed as I was hoping this would have been a really good precursor to middle school.

Am I wrong in expecting a refund?



<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />
iVillage Member
Registered: 05-02-2003
Mon, 07-21-2003 - 9:58am

How disappointing to say the least. I don't blame you a bit for being upset, nor do I think you're wrong to expect a refund. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you don't have to fight for it.

Best Always,



Sherrie Rainbow

Avatar for cl_janetlh
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-19-2003
Mon, 07-21-2003 - 3:09pm
Oy! You should absolutely be entitled to a refund. Be sure to mention Kevin's issues as additional ammunition, but you should not need it. I'm so sorry the program won't work out for him.

If you want to substitute something else, perhaps you can find a private tutor. For $300 you could probably get quite a few sessions geared exactly for Kevin, and you could show the teacher why you were interested in this other program as a guide. Call the school and ask for references.



Jewish Family Life