Wed, 02-29-2012 - 8:52am

Happy Leap Day everybody!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 12:08pm

What kind of crockpot meals do you do?

Community Leader
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 12:14pm
Jordyn is a super picky eater and the little girls have been turning their nose up at my crock pot soups lately. I would think anything with beans in it would be a good filler up plus protein, ham & navy bean, white chicken chili, but I like Ann's ideas of chicken quesadillos also. What about a chicken pot pie soup or beef stew type crock pot that has those hearty veggies that help out and are filling.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 12:15pm
Yummy!!!!! Great idea!
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 12:30pm
I do pulled pork, Sunday Chicken (chicken, cream cheese, dry italian soup mix, and cream of mushroom soup) must credit FlyLady with that one, ribs, taco soup, etc. Check out allrecipes dot com and search crockpot recipes. Stir fry works well on busy nights if you do the prep work ahead and use instant rice. There are some instant brown rices if you want to go that route. If I do stir fry, I usually give the kids a little something to snack on while I do the cooking. Our coaches all recommend chocolate milk as a recovery drink so I have them drink the milk while they wait.

I've been struggling with the whole dinner thing myself lately so I'm not being as helpful as I would like here. I am actively working to solve this problem and will let you know what I come up with. Could take a week or so. Might be worth checking the library for crockpot cookbooks.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 12:42pm

Quesdaillas aren't quick.

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 12:51pm

DH and I are working on our eating habits which only complicates things.

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 1:22pm

Mindy- prayers for your nephew and your family.

Cheryl

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 1:32pm
You've run into my issues exactly. I need healthy, low calorie, nutrient dense foods and the kids need high calorie, nutrient dense foods. I keep looking for healthy crockpot recipes and most of what I find is lower fat/lower calorie alternatives -use low sodium, low fat soup, use low fat cream cheese. It still isn't broiled lean meat and steamed or fresh veggies.

Evan likes Kind bars which are fairly healthy and have whole grains and nuts with not too much sugar. Maybe those would tide Zeph over until you have time to cook. I have found I can cut significant time by doing the prep work ahead, going as far as putting the pot full of water on the stove and the box of pasta and sauce next to the stove.

We need a nutritionist to help us puzzle this through.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 1:33pm

I don't have any dinner ideas right now.

Community Leader
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 1:41pm
I always keep a tuppermaid bowl of shredded/chopped up chicken in the frigerator, I do it on the weekends or whenever I am making chicken I always do extras. I also make a "chicken pocket" where I take Grands Bisquits, flatten them out, fill it with the shredded chicken, some shredded cheese (and for DH salsa), put another bisquit on top, curl up the edges and bake. we don't do the peppers and onions in quesadillos, we just do strictly chicken and cheese, so they are alway quick for us, and if I am making it for all the family at once, I get the griddle out so I can do 4 at once.
Photobucket