Photobucket

Pages

Community Leader
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 9:10am

Good morning!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 10:28am
Morning all. I was hoping today was going to be a productive day but woke up feeling lousy (congested, headache, itchy eyes, and for some reason pain in my left foot) so I'm not sure how much I'll really get done. That stinks because I really want to keep up the momentum I had going last week. It's still new enough that I could slip back into my old ways and let the house go again. Don't want to go there...

This afternoon I have to make pasta for a water polo party tonight. That's not happening if dh doesn't get some money in the bank soon. There literally isn't enough to buy several boxes of pasta and a few jars of sauce. I could pull some out of savings but refuse to do that. It never gets paid back and we need what's there for other things later on.

Tonight Evan has the pasta party and Megan and I have piano lessons. Also have to figure out what to do about Evan and his grades. He came home with straight B's and 1 C+ for the quarter yesterday. Even his elective class was a B. He's taking high honors classes so one or two Bs isn't terrible but we all know he's capable of more. His 1st semester grades weren't much better but he came up with a strategy to do better. The grades he's told me about thenlast 2-3 weeks have been much better he's just not consistent. He waits until things get critical and then he scrambles to bring his grades up. Doesn't work well in high honors classes in high school... Any ideas? He's been wasting a lot of time with electronics lately or playing music while studying but I can't take the laptop away because he uses it for homework. When we block web sites, he just finds replacements. Ahhhhhhhh!
Community Leader
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 10:45am
Ami, I don't necessarily think playing music while studying is bad, it realy depends on the kid. I personally need background noise/music to concentrate, but I am not distracted by it like my younger two kids. Jordyn is also a background noise person. The electronics would be the bigger one for me, can you limit him to say an hour, or even 30 minutes a day of anything other than a laptop for homework purposes and as he completes projects or gets some better grades, add in additional time as incentive? Is he utilizing his calendar/planner from school to manage projects overall and have a sense of getting little steps done towards the final project? You may even need to have a sit down with him and just revisit his goals and ohectives to get him back on track. This time of year is when kids are starting to get burnt out with everything and state testing, etc.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 12:14pm
Thanks Tracy. I go back and forth about the music myself. I really need peace and quiet when the subject is tricky. I'm reading Bleak House right now and can't be the least bit distracted if I'm going to comprehend anything. Focus and effort are a huge issue with him right now. We got a call from his Geometry teacher this morning saying she was really concerned about his grade and his behavior in class has been very disruptive. Seems all he wants to do is talk about a particular political candidate and it's causing trouble. The candidate's views are sort of anti-institution and I think Evan might be using these views as a partial excuse not to take school seriously. He looks at and talks about this guy in an almost god-like way and it's starting to scare me. Dh and I don't agree with this candidate but we're trying to respect Evan's right to his own opinion. It's becoming increasingly difficult because Evan continues to tqlk about him, tell us his views, and try to convince us to change our minds. It's one thing for him to express is opinion, it's another to push his views on us.

Evan is also being very dismissive toward this teacher. Same type of thing we've seen at home toward us. Evan really needs to understand that authority is authority and must be respected. You might disagree with the authority but you still have to respect it. He's such a strong willed kid that this is a really hard lesson to get across in a constructive way.
Community Leader
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 12:31pm
Ahh, I see. Its good that he is engrossed in the politics right now, but you are right, being overly pushy about it can cause problems. Can I ask which candidate it is? My DH can be that way on occassion, and he actually is the same way right now with politics and anti-establishment which I am congizent of, but there is a line where you have to stay when it comes to freedom of thought and choice, but also staying within the realm of what is still current and in tact, especially school wise IMO. Jordyn went through the lack of respect for authority with one teacher in particular in middle school and it took me some time and constant talk about the importance that you can disagree with what they say, but you still have to respectful of the authority they have. Its a hard situation. Good luck with Evan, I wish I could recommend something helpful, but I am not sure. If you figure something out, let me know, I have a feeling I'll need it for the littlest one! LOL!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 1:04pm

Quiet morning of schoolwork.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 4:04pm
LOL about Fermi. At least it wasn't the couch, Heather!
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 4:06pm
I didn't want to start any political troubles (I am soooo non-confrontational) so i didn't mention the name but since you asked, it's Ron Paul. Let's get rid of the Federal Reserve, our education system isn't working so let's get rid of the Department of Education, etc. Evan might be reading that to mean it's not necessary to pay attention to education. He's very smart and knows it can get him places but has always bucked the traditional education system or seen it as not good enough for him. I thought that would change with high school because he's in a terrific school and is in all high honors classes so is surrounded by intellectual peers. It's much better than it was but apparently, we still have a ways to go... Sigh...
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 4:09pm
Full day of school today. I am at church now with the elementary youth group. The next few week we will be focusing on community service, so today our activities will include walking over to the park and doing a trash pickup, then planting marigold seeds in little cups to(I hope) give to their moms around Mothers Day. DH is in Toronto and will be back tomorrow. I think I will head for home when al the kids get picked up and see if I can get some things accomplished.
Community Leader
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 5:25pm
I had a feeling that's who you were talking about. DH and I are both Ron Paul supporters, and I do say that working for the state education agency. I think in theory a lot of his ideas are very good, and I am a very big believer in constitutionalism and feel the country and its politicalists have gone too far in many areas with laws and the taking away of freedoms. However, even as a big supporter, I am unsure of the implementation of his ideas exactly and that is what I have been waiting for, many more specifics. My only other hitch is as a feminist, I am a big pro-choice supporter.
Photobucket

Pages