Conflict of Interest
Find a Conversation
|Wed, 06-11-2003 - 12:39pm|
Yes a woman has the right to decide whether she wants to have a baby or not
BUT a woman does NOT have the right over life and death.
Do you see what i mean?
Some people think that the first right outweighs the second right
Others think that the second right outweighs the first......
As for the whole "It is MY body that will change" argument......since when have we REALLY had any control over our bodies.....remember PUBERTY? and those Earth Shaking cramps?
I had no control over that........and there was no one to blame for that. Pregnancy is over in 9 months......your period and puberty last for years and years......
Another Argument is that a womans body is her property and that her property is hers to do with as she sees fit.......
While that is true.....we need to be careful what we label as property and what our rights are concerning our "property"
1) It is in this same country that Black slaves were considered the PROPERTY of their white owners ......thus a slave owner could treat his slave as he saw fit.
2) In some cultures in the PRESENT DAY WORLD, women are considered the PROPERTY of MEN. Thus, men are FREE to do as they will with their women. They can kill them, lock them in a house, give them away to other men to give them 'pleasure' , etc etc.
So if it being your property justifies whatever actions you can take towards that person......then is it not hypocritical to criticize slave owners for doing what they did, or criticize those men for mistreating women? They were simply handling their own......"property".
Another Argument is the "It is not a human yet" argument......
If that were true ...then its not really killing is it?.......or not.......when you kill an animal......which is not a human.......many people will STILL debate with you over the rights of that animal to live. That just because it is not a human does not mean that it does not have the right to live. Talk to your local Vegetarian.
I think it very odd that in America ANIMALS have more rights than children do.
Another argument is the "Why give it up for Adoption.....al the orphanages are too full"
1) would you rather have a full ORPHANAGE or a full CEMETERY full of dead baby bodies.......
Another argument is the " What if the Mother's life is in Danger?"
This is a good argument.......
1) If the Baby is going to DIE anyway......then you are only speeding up the process.
2) If it is a Matter of the Mother's life vs That of the BABY's life......there is one thing i know and that is that if My mother had the chance to choose between HER life and MINE she would choose to save me. Most mothers i know would throw themselves in front of a moving train if it meant that their child's life would be saved......you can make of that what you will.
Another argument is "Who wants to bring an UNWANTED child into this world......?"
1) Whether or not you WANT a child shouldnt be a good enough reason to kill it. If i did not WANT my puppy anymore would i go shoot it in my backyard? No.......that would be called cruelty.
2) If you don't want it....give it to someone who will
A special argument comes from MEN who are usually in support of Abortion......
"HEY, its a WOMANS decision....i cant stick my opinion in there.....i'm not a woman"
1) Of course MEN would support it......it absolves them of all responsibility. Leavign them free to knock up whatever girl they want and have their "mistake" carefully removed.
2) It takes 2 to make a baby......not one. That child is your creation also. You have a SAY. If the father really wants to raise the child and the woman does not......is it fair to the man if she aborts the baby?
Then there is the RAPE argument
1) Conception rarely happens when a woman is raped.......her body is in too much shock to concieve....
2) Nevertheless......if she does not want the baby because she feels it would be an awful reminder then she should give it up for adoption. Killing it just continues the cycle of violence.....Killing it won't take away the memory of being raped.....it will simply add to her trauma
What it all boils down to is the realization that there is no such thing as PERFECT FREEDOM......we are never free to live our lives as we see fit. Someones rghts are going to infringe on another person's rights.....it's inevitable.....So let's argue from a sense of UTILITY and JUSTICE and not CHOICE AND RIGHTS.....because no matter how many choices and rights you list ......someon'es rights are going to get trampled on.
Both sides of the abortion debate have sooooo much money to pour into their efforts. Why dont we channel this pointless debate into someting more positive?
I think Pro CHOICE and Pro LIFE should work together to ERADICATE! the reasons that women even THINK of having an abortion......such as
2)RAPE- LETS FIGHT TOGETHER FOR TIGHTER RAPE LAWS!!!!!!!
4) POLITICS_ IN CHINA A WOMAN IS FORCED TO HAVE AN ABORTION IS she has more than one child. LETS LOBBY OUR GOV"T TO remove china's MOST FAVOURED COUNTRY STATUS
etc......this list goes on
Make of my little speech what you will.