March 31, 2009
Fri, 03-20-2009 - 12:09am

Do you

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: sadieshill
Sat, 03-28-2009 - 8:16pm

<>

Actually, the unborn child IS my body. It is intimately connected to my body, feeding off of my body and needs MY body to survive. That makes it MY body. Therefore, it is MY decision as to how to treat it medically.

Once science has found a way to safely remove a weeks old fetus from the pregnant mother and either place it in the womb of another woman or gestate it by other means, then we can talk about making abortion illegal. Until then, it has to remain a choice of the pregnant woman because she has to have choice over things that affect her own body.

I have to ask too, because I'm always curious as to how PL people look at this... how exactly do you expect a woman who is forced to gestate an unwanted pregnancy to always do what's in the best interest of the fetus for the nine months it takes to gestate? Meaning, if a woman is feeling hostage to her own body, what motivation does she have to eat right? What motivation does she have to avoid alcohol and drugs? What motivation does she have to quit smoking? How are you going to ensure the health and well-being of all these unwanted, unborn fetuses?

tracisiggy2.jpg Siggy - Fall '08 picture by tburnes
2010 Siggy
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-28-2009 - 9:33am

Well, I have no problem with you sending red envelopes everyday if you want.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-28-2009 - 9:13am

<>

Nope- wrong. Your opinion is totally more valid- over YOUR health and body. But never over mine.

>

Sure I do. Due to the inherent short and long term risks associated wit either continued gestation and childbirth or abortion I have EVERY right in the world to choose the set of risks I am willing to assume.

<>

And I am opposed to the indenturement of every women's womb, so I am in full support of FOCA. Funny thing is- my stance respects your options- yours does not.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-28-2009 - 12:48am
Welcome to the board :)

Kate

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-28-2009 - 12:19am

"You know, I find it so ironic how PC folks believe their own opinion is more valid than a PLers."

When your opinion would limit my access to medical care, then yes, I do think opinions supporting my rights are more important than yours.

"But then neither I nor you have any right over another innocent human beings body (the unborn child, which is NOT your body)."

Really? Do you not have the right to decide what kind of nutrition you provide for your daughter? Did you not have the right to decide what kind of medical care she would receive when she was born? What kind of carseat, or whether you will keep her rearfacing when she reaches one year/20 lbs? Whether she gets fresh organic produce or Kraft Macaroni & Cheese? What kind of medical care she will receive when she gets sick or injured?

Parents make life-or-death decisions for their minor children every single day. You've probably made several of them already. You will make several more over the course of your daughter's childhood. I hope that you will never be faced with a decision involving the end of your child's life. Several people here have, however. If they had no rights to make decisions for their children, then who would be able to decide what kind of care they needed?

The fact is that we trust parents to make the right decisions for their children, and we trust women to make the right decisions for things that quite intimately involve their own bodies. You make it seem as if women are hardly involved with pregnancy, when that is hardly the case.