RU 486 OTC or by prescription?

iVillage Member
RU 486 OTC or by prescription?
Sat, 08-08-2009 - 8:29pm

I thought about this in another context and thought it might make an interesting discussion here.

RU 486 (Mifepristone) is currently available by prescription only in the U.S. I remember reading criticism from some groups at the time it was approved by the FDA (2000), who argued that this would limit women's access to abortion.

Do you think the fact that it's available by prescription only limits women's access to abortion in this way? Should it be available OTC? Should more/less restrictions be placed on its distribution? Why?

Powered by CGISpy.com

Thanks to Heather (blessedmom0508), Keisha (mommy-la-roo) and Spencer (gespenst) for the beautiful signatures!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Powered by CGISpy.com

Thanks

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-09-2009 - 1:05pm

I like the system we have here. You can get it via prescription for free, or you can get it OTC and pay £20 (I think, it's been years so the price may have gone up).

This encourages people to go via their dr's but ALSO doesn't restrict women's access to contraception.

If you go OTC you do have to endure a mini-lecture from the pharmacist on correct birth control etc, especially if you look young ;o)

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-09-2009 - 1:17pm
I think it does limit it for women who live in small towns and more rural communities. I live in central Kansas, and I'd have to drive over 2 hours to obtain abortion services. I'm not sure where women who live in Western Kansas would have to go. Denver, maybe? Clearly, it would be much easier for these women to go into a local pharmacy to obtain RU 486 than to drive for hours to see a doctor.
Photobucket Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-10-2009 - 10:03am
As someone who has taken RU486 (and is PC), I still think it is best to have it be available by rx only. My experience with it was that the side effects were pretty harsh and if I didn't know what to expect (from talking w/ my dr) prior to taking it, I may have panicked/ended up in ER, etc. I think it's best that a dr and patient have some sort of conversation prior to the patient taking RU486.

melissajune21.jpg picture by ambersspace

&nbs

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-10-2009 - 6:28pm

Do you think it would be enough for a woman to have to talk with a doctor over the phone before taking RU 486? For example, if a woman went to a pharmacy seeking RU 486, would it be sufficient for the pharmacist to have her sit somewhere and discuss her pregnancy, the side effects and what to expect taking RU 486?

Clearly, it would be far easier for women in live in small towns or rural communities, which is a reality where I live, to go to a pharmacy than to drive for hours, and possibly cross state lines to seek a doctor. But my question to you, I guess, is do you think it's unreasonable to think it sufficient for a phone conversation with a doctor, before being given RU 486?

Photobucket Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 9:18am

This is an interesting question. I honestly don't know much about the drug, my experience with abortion is the surgical kind.

With RU 486, does the 'patient' have to check back in with a doctor after the pill(s) has been taken? Is so, why? Is it regulated by a prescription because it can be dangerous without a medical professionals assistance?

I think since abortion clinics are so few and far between in a lot of places in the US that this actually increases a woman's access to abortion.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 9:55am

I do think that a phone conversation with a doctor would be sufficient, as long as the side effects were discussed. I also think that it would be helpful if there was a number for a patient to call if she had any questions about the effect the drug was having on her.

Also, generally, some sort of pain pill is prescribed along with RU486, so it would be helpful for side effects of that to be described with the doctor as well, IMO.

melissajune21.jpg picture by ambersspace

&nbs

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 4:14pm

After reading all the contraindications like ectopic pregnancy which can be hard to detect early on, under 8 weeks of pregnancy requirement,

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 7:30pm

Hello all!
I hope you don't mind me joining in on the conversation. I saw this board and this topic and I thought I'd reply.

First, let me say that I'm 100% PC.

As far as this topic, I don't think it would be a good idea for this drug to be OTC. The first thing that came to my mind is that making it OTC, makes it easier for people to misuse the drug. What I mean is that I could totally see some boyfriend (or female friend of the boyfriend) getting the drug if it was OTC and spiking his pregnant girlfriend's drink or food in order to force a miscarriage. I think keeping it as an RX lessens the ability of people getting it other than the pregnant mother herself. Hope that makes sense.

Keri

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 8:53pm

I agree, there'd be too much liability making RU 486 OTC.