RU 486 OTC or by prescription?

iVillage Member
RU 486 OTC or by prescription?
Sat, 08-08-2009 - 8:29pm

I thought about this in another context and thought it might make an interesting discussion here.

RU 486 (Mifepristone) is currently available by prescription only in the U.S. I remember reading criticism from some groups at the time it was approved by the FDA (2000), who argued that this would limit women's access to abortion.

Do you think the fact that it's available by prescription only limits women's access to abortion in this way? Should it be available OTC? Should more/less restrictions be placed on its distribution? Why?

Powered by CGISpy.com

Thanks to Heather (blessedmom0508), Keisha (mommy-la-roo) and Spencer (gespenst) for the beautiful signatures!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Powered by CGISpy.com

Thanks

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-01-2009 - 8:03pm
Hey Holly. I have to say that keeping it prescription is a good thing because when a woman has to go to a doctor, they will discuss reasons behind the abortion. Also, RU-486 can be dangerous if not monitored by a doctor and if the woman does not know danger signs to watch for.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-19-2009 - 9:52am

I think there may be some lingering confusion between Plan B and RU-486.

Plan B is "emergency contraception" or "the morning after pill."

Powered by
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-19-2009 - 9:05am
Yep, it's available. I used it. Didn't even need an Rx actually. First dose was given to me in the drs office and the second set of pills were sent home with me with instructions. I did get a script for pain pills, however.

melissajune21.jpg picture by ambersspace

&nbs

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 9:58pm
Have you ever asked your OB ( or Family dr) if you could get an RU486 scrip should the need arise?

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 7:14pm

I support RU 486 because I think it would go a long way in preventing later-term abortions, which I think are horrendous.

I am surprised that it is available in the U.S. at all. I thought it was not. If its available now, even with prescription required, that is a huge advance.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 3:49pm

"One should be able to get RU486 from one's family Dr the way one can get BCPs."

Ah, "should" is the operative word there. That's just not how it works. I live in the middle of Conservative, Red State Kansas, in a town with less than 5,000 people. I don't know for sure if I could get RU 486 around here, because I've never needed to check. But I know there is one clinic in all of Kansas that provides abortions. And when I did a google search on where to access RU 486 in Kansas, that clinic was the only place that came up. I think every ob/gyn should prescribe it, the same way they prescribe birth control pills. But that's just not the way it works.

As an aside, I don't necessarily think that making RU 486 is the ideal. But I do think something needs to change so that women don't have to jump through absurd standards and hoops to obtain medical treatment (whether being an abortion or accessing any type of medication.)

Photobucket Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-17-2009 - 4:45pm
<<

"That comes across as very flippant to me. I think for a lot of women it's far more difficult than just taking "4 hours out of her day" to access help."

Yep. That's all I can say right now.>>

Bah....Not even...keep reading. ;)

I was being sarcastic!